Egr valve questions

I have a 66 mustang with a 91 5.0 engine. The guy I bought the car from said it needed a new egr valve. I know what it does but I was wandering if I would get better performance from the car if I took the egr system out. (or just disconnected it) Since the car is a 66 there is no emissions to worry about.

Thanks Evan

Reply to
Evan

Is it carberated or EFI? Regardless I'd lose the EGR. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

This is a tough one to answer..... the EGR valve reduces NOX emissions by reduing chamber temps but it also reduces or eliminates engine ping. If the EGR system is working properly, there's little chance that you'll notice it on a daily driver or docile drive around and show off car. If the motor is basically unmodified or only lightly modified, I would likely repair the system.

If I were to make major modifications, then I would make sure that fuel and spark curves would make removing the system.

YMMV.

Jim Warman

The egr doesn't function under WOT so there isn't anything to gain by removing it other than a cleaner easy to work on engine bay. I'm assuming that its an EFI setup. If you do take it off you could gain IF you get an new chip to recurve teh fuel and spark curves.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG