Engine question

Hi I have a 2002 Mustang convertible, I would like to build an engine for it. Currently it has the V-6. My question is, Will the 4.6 engine fit comfortably in this compartment? I have seen SVT Cobra engines for sale new unused would this fit? I would like her to be smog legal and automatic and reliable, as she works for a living, to and from work at about 104 miles a day round trip. One month under one year old and I'm looking at 22230.miles Don't get my wrong I love the V-6, I just would like a bit more bang. Would a Paxton be bad for the engine, shorten the life expectancy of the V-6 how about warranty I bought the extended 5 yr 100,000. Ok to much to ask? Thanks

Reply to
Billstein

22230.miles

This question get asked at least once a week. Yes the engine will fit, it's the same body as the V-8 models. The general consensus of opinion is, (a.) save yourself some grief and swap the car for a V-8 model or (b.) build the V-6 for performance. It's not just a matter of an engine swap, you'll need the tranny for a V-8, an 8.8 rear end instead of the V-6 7.5 rear, you'll need a heavier front suspension to support the V-8. If you choose to do the swap, purchase a wrecked doner car of the required year, usually one that has been rear ended. So you can see where trading cars is the easier solution. If you want to build the V-6 check these links for power adders. Mustang V-6 Performance

Scroll down to the V-6 page

Induction components, super & turbo chargers, NOS, underdrive pulleys, exhaust components, clutch kits, shifters, 7.5 ring gears, suspension parts, power chips and wire sets, gages etc.

Intake, stud girdle, windage tray,cams, roller rockers, timing chains, heads, exhaust, stroker kits

Reply to
Fred Brown

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

in my case, my insurance doubles up from 185 to around 320 for a cobra ... is a swap option still a bad choice ?

Reply to
Silver Stang

I third the motion. Hell, I figured the cost of doing that swap as well and it came out to MORE than buying a brand new GT would have, including cost of the original V6 (had a 2k V6 vert which I bought for around 19k). From prices I compared the engine and swap alone would have cost around 10k including labor, and that's not counting drivetrain, tranny, rear-end, etc. So I went and traded the V6 in for my current '03 GT coupe premium and the loan total was.....28k. Plus my insurance only went up $25 per month as compared to the V6 (and that's with 1 speeding ticket and an at-fault accident in the 6). I would suggest a different insurance company if they DOUBLE the cost for a V8... That just seems a little excessive to me

Reply to
MustangMan03GT