Engine recommendation for 1966 Fastback

I am nearing completion of my mustang and am at odds about what to do about the engine. This is a street only car and the focus is on longevity and fuel efficiency over brute horsepower, but a little get up and go is needed. I read a recent magazine article on using a new ford short block and going from there. I would like to go this route because it means not dealing with a machine shop. What heads, intake, carb, etc. would you all suggest? I would like it to be carbureted because I already ran a new fuel line. It has a 9" 3.50 rear in it and will have a T5 shortly. Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Hurt

my suggestion is to get a long blockless intake form a 5.0, just drop an aftermarket manifold and an eldebrock carb on it. Sweet set up. Lots of place on the net for lower damper pulley combos to work either stock set up or serpentine belt. When i put the 5.0 in my 65 i had to open the p/s bracket up to take 3/8 bolts instead of the 5/16 2 minutes with a drill bit. Used a flywheel and damper combo from total perfomance. painted the sucker black with early cobra cover and hipo style air cleaner. looked stocked until i hit the gas! that was in 9, new crate motors will give even more horspower. and fuel econmy isin;t that bad, i got about 21 mpg with 3:0 rear and an automatic

Reply to
walt peifer

Thanks Walt, sounds like a good way to go. How many miles were on the engine when you got it?

Dan

Reply to
Hurt

I would consider an Explorer 5.0 before a Mustangs, these are usually diven alittle easier and offer better parts. Buy a complete longblock and resell the upper/lower intake to offset some of the costs. The Explorer uses better heads (GT40 or GT40P) and intake ( which won't matter for your carb'd setup) It is FAR easier to find a decent mileage motor from the Explorer than a Mustang and cost is usually about the same.

Tim (Musttanguy) PonyPerformance.com

Reply to
Musttanguy