Fastback 'Stang

I saw a very early fastback this weekend. It came back, but left a little of a rear deck lid. Pale blue with double stripes, maybe original paint? But it was going 90 degrees to me and I was turning in the other direction.

Year? Possibly engine?

There's also a Mach 1 in town, but he seems to be doing a restoration on it. Every time I see it it looks a little better.

And, slightly OT for a Mustand NG, there's a guy with an early (1st year?) Z28. Burbles nice and fat with M/T street slicks. Looks like it drove off the show room floor.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Maybe an early 2+2 (don't know if any run of the mill came with stripes) with a 289 2 brl. 4 brl. A code. Maybe a K code high rev. solid lifter motor.

Maybe you could spot it here:

Or here:

1st year Z28s had the 302 and would fetch good money in stock condition. There are many clones, or tributes out there, and are more affordable for the common gear heads.
Reply to
Gill

My 65 FB 2+2 rolled out of the San Jose assembly with A Code 289 4v V8 (Shelby but without solid lifters), stock cam, dual exhaust with dual mufflers (most early dual exhaust had single muffler mounted parallel to the real axel), C4 transmission, no stripes, front disc/rear drum manual brakes, manual steering, 8 inch 3.8:1 trak-lok rear, 14" steel rims.

Today, it is wexactly the same only different. :0) Just a few improvements over original.

In place of the original, Edelbrock Performer Series Endurashine intake and matching 4v 650cfm carb, improved cam, custom built C4 with street/strip valve body, power added to brakes and steering, steering changed to rack and pinion, 16" mag look wheels. All interior and exterior lighting has gone LED except headlights which are halogen. AM radio replaced with CAS surround sound stereo, 3 point seatbelts.

Reply to
D E Willson

Very nice! Those are some of the best looking Mustangs ever. Any pics? I've been hearing the Endurashine name lately on different TV car programs, some kind of powder coat?

Reply to
Gill

Thus spake D E Willson :

Very clearly a car you take enough pride in to actually drive. As opposed to those B-J (hmmm) cars with the six figure prices that would go on a covered transporter and only drive at shows. For maybe 100 ft.

My "Bullding Performance Ford Windsor" book says that a daily driver has hydrologic lifters and an idle speed of less than 30 mph.

As opposed to the 410 CID engine I'm building that needs to make sure the pistons clear the valves. At BDC :-) But I need to make 900 hp with an iron block and heads from 400 or less. Running against a bunch of 408 SBC, a 392 Hemi and a 426 Hemi destroked to 405.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:00:20 -0600, Dillon Pyron rearranged some electrons to say:

"Hydrologic"? That's a good one.

Reply to
david

It is my daily (and only) driver. And, at the same time, it is showable. Not a trailer queen. Every time I go out, there is always someone giving me compliments (flashing headlights, waves, thumbs up, or just gathered around to see it up close. Feels great.

Cheap, it's not. My first FB was bought in 1970 when I returned from Vietnam. It was 5 years old, mint condition, yellow, C Code 289 2v, C4

3 spd auto. Everything stock. Total cost WITH financing, $1,89.00. This one cost me $9K for an excellent body less the parts which had been scavenged. Like the owner took the original front disc brakes and put on his daughter's 65 coupe. I now have approximately $40,000 into bringing it up to today.... and still a few things I need/want to do (A/C, better seats, etc). The 289 gets good gas mileage as long as I keep my foot out of it, and it has great power for normal driving.
Reply to
D E Willson

Thus spake david :

That's the science of deciding that you don't need solid lifters. :-)

Reply to
Dillon Pyron