Enige swap question?

I have a straight '66 t code coupe I'd like to fix up for my niece. What's a good modern ford V-6 I can swap? 3.8 or 2.8L perhaps? Any recommendations?

Reply to
Mark C.

Out of curiosity, have you considered a 5.0L motor instead? Yeas, it is a V8, but it is cheap and plentiful, belongs (AFAIK) to the same family as the 289, and well documented.

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

You can build the inline 6 for more grunt than the V-6. Start here:

CobraJet

Besides that, I doubt if any cammer six would fit, and the pushrod sixes all have their "issues," specifically with cracked heads. And on top of that all the EFI hassles. So if your fiixing the car up for a neice, leave it stock would be best or, if you must transplant, go with a 302 V8.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
one80out

...or a Thunderbird SC 3.8 Liter set-up!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I looked in to this for my '66. The motor mounts are the same as the 5.0 in the parts book, as is the AOD trans mounts. There are a lot of small issues like the EFI conversion, wiring, computer, etc. But I believe they are essentially the same as the 5.0 also. So nothing ground breaking there. The big hang up is the oil pan; it's an odd looking V shaped center sump. That won't clear the stock '66 steering gear. You'll need to fabricate a new pan with a front sump. Not a big deal for some one with basic fabrication skill. Just cut off the stock pan rail and use it as a basis for a new pan. Fortunately, the oil pump is part of the front cover. So fabricating a matching oil pump pick up is a breeze.

Personally, I'm looking for a Turbo4/AOD out of a turbo coupe for my '66.

Reply to
.boB

I did a 65 for the wife and rebuilt the six. It has enough power for her and runs very well. It has never let us down, so far, and she is very happy with it.

recommendations?

Reply to
Ray or Bobbi Adams