Exhaust

I purchased my mustang with the tail pipes removed from the mufflers back. It has flowmasters from the headers to the mufflers. Would it be more beneficial, horsepower wise, to keep them off or put them on. I have a set of flowmasters tailpipes and tips for the car.

Reply to
Elijah.kemp

It won't make any noticeable performance difference either way. With them off you may get exhaust gas inside the car and it will be louder.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

And you may get cited by the BrentP Revenue generators. :0)

Reply to
Spike

Actually, on mine there was a noticeable difference when I went from 18" or so tails to the full out the back over the axle tails and then back to 12" tails. All 2.5" on 2 chamber Flowmasters. I do; however, have an F-303 cam, 1.6 rollers, ported GT40 heads and a ported Edelbrock intake with Mac headers, so all that may make a bigger difference for tail pipes over one that is mostly stock on the engine.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Wow.

I'm all verklempt.

:()

Reply to
dwight

I bet a dyno run between the two setups wouldn't yield much of a change. A change from a stock exhaust to a 2.5" free flow one on your setup might be 15-20 hp tops. I would venture that tail pipes verses no tail pipes might be 5 hp. Not enough to make too much a difference, IMHO. Then again, I just might be FOS on the matter. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

On my car after installing the cam, heads and intake there is a very noticeable climb in power between 3.8K and 5.5K RPM. What is noticeable is the difference in how much extra push there is in that power band with long pipes and no pipes. So on my particular car I feel there is more than 5HP difference wrapped up in the tail pipes unless you think several people can feel a 5HP difference. I don't think I can. I know one thing there is a vast difference in how loud the car is going from

8" tail pipes to 18" tail pipes.
Reply to
WindsorFox