04 Mustang Cobras at the drags

Went to the drags yesterday. There were two 04 Cobras there and I tried to keep an eye on them. I was disappointed to see them stuck in the high 13's. What are regular guys turning with stock Cobras? I'm sure the magazines are getting good numbers. I talked to one of the guys and he said he was getting bad wheel hop??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

driving skill plays a big part in getting these big mothas down the track

the best 1/4 i could turn was a 13.4 at 112 in my cai/catback 03 vert on the f1's. 2.2 60-ft

i got a set of bfg dr's last month and i am looking forward to trying it with those. yes tires make a big difference in wheelhop

from my trap speed i can see that the car could be alot quicker so i'm pretty happy with that. but this is my daily driver so i am a little leary of going balls to the wall with this car.

from what i see and hear powershifting helps. also i think alot of guys dip into the 12's on the stock f1's in coupes with low 60-fts

Reply to
Chris Shea

Al,

One question. What trap speeds were these Cobras turning?

I ask because if they weren't turning traps of at least 108 mph, I say kick those grannies out of the driver's seat. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

Sorry I did not pay attention to the trap speeds. Worse yet, I never see them at the strip, so I doubt I'll get another chance.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Patrick,

Here's something interesting. On one of my time runs there was a stok late Corvette in the other lane. No idea if it was a 6 speed or automatic, but it was not a Z06. Unless they are available with removable tops now. Here is what he ran: (I put what my junker did on the right:)

Corvette My car RT .321 .003

60' 2.090 1.727 330 5.738 4.931 1/8 8.633 7.664 MPH 84.92 89.95 1000 11.116 10.035 1/4 13.235 12.061 MPH 106.93 110.71

I beat him by over a second, and only 4 MPH. Look at the 1/8 ET & MPH, almost the same split.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Some junker! :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

He had a regular-Joe reaction time.

His 60-foot time is just average for a late-model Vette on regular street tires.

His e.t is good, but his mph is a little low. My guess is he backed off at the end.

You cut an awesome light.

You're running slicks/stickies.

Your car has been lightened and the motor is tweaked.

Average driver with a factory-stock car loses to a very good driver who's driving a modified car...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

Hmm...

My '97 Cobra, stock save for the Tri-Ax and a pair of Nitto Drag Radials, ran 13.8 @ 100.7MPH with a 2.0 60-ft in 90+ degree heat. Don't know what the track altitude is - Pittsburgh Raceway in New Alexandria (near Pittsburgh - also formerly called Keystone Raceway). This was at a test + tune night. No powershifting (transmission won't let me), just a redline run with quick but still lift-throttle clutch-in shifting. I left 1st at

6800 RPM, 2nd at about the same (plus or minus 100), and held on through third.

Keep in mind, I'm down 85+ horsepower (rated 305) from the '03-04 guys. Either they were having severe traction problems or they just didn't know how to drive.

JS

Reply to
JS

JS, i went there a few times this year, what days do you go on when the track is in season? Its only about 35 minutes from my house... Nice place to test yor car out.. im going to try my GT there this upcoming year... Maybe ill see you there... What color cobra do you have?

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta