I need advice from all the great Mustang owners.

I really love Mustangs. The way they look, the heritage, just everything. I'm from a small town, and around here it's all about drag racing the quarter mile... illegally. I want to buy a Mustang GT so bad, but I'm concerned that it won't be fast enough to hang with some people around here. Let me add that everyone around here races trucks, yes trucks. An occasional car comes in like a Camaro Z28. Well the fastest thing besides that Camaro I just mentioned is a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado. I hate Silverados, always have and always will. And to top that off, he is one of those die-hard Chevrolet owners that think that Chevrolets are the ultimate ride.... please. Anyway back to the truck... it's a 5.7L Vortec 350, got a Hypertech chip, and factory installed towing package. What else it has... not really sure. It runs approximately... 100 mph in the quarter. I'm concerned that a stock Mustang GT will not be able to out run this Silverado, since looking it up online shows the Mustang to run around 14.0 sec. stock. Therefore, I would hate to race that truck and get beat. I want to run him into the ground... with a Mustang. NOW TO THE QUESTION AT HAND: I need advice on how to make the Mustang GT (new models) quite a bit faster with out doing forced induction or a lot of other expensive things right off. Bolt-ons, which are good? I see that K&N has a intake kit that claims 15 HP by dynochart, and that's supposedly on a stock GT. But what else? Looking forward to advice.

Reply to
mrgriffith03

Well.........you asked for my advice. Buy your Mustang and race it at an off-road 1/4 mile track. Drive it SAFELY on the street. On the street your actions could affect your life or somebody elses for as long as you live. Or don't live.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I'm just old enough to finally know better.

Reply to
Kruse

illegal street racing is BAD! Please take it to a track! I frown heavily on this kind of activity...

But... since in know you won't listen and will do it anyways...

If in fact the Silverado is trapping at 100MPH... thats pretty darn good for a Silverado! Looks like stock it would trap mid to upper 80's and run upper 15's... But if he's in fact trapping at 100... well, that means he's probably running mid to upper 13's in the 1/4.... sooooo... with stock GT it could be a drivers race... I don't think you would run him into the ground with a stock GT...

Now as far as improving the GT with just bolt-on's... what's your budget??? LOL! I would do the following:

1) SCT X-Cal2 tuner / C&L CAI combo. (check out
2) Perhaps some exhaust work.. Not real familar with GT's exhaust.. but I know you can get some gains. 3) Perhaps a new set of gears in the rear end... 4) Good set of drag radials.... 5) Little bit of suspension work... lower control arms for sure... the stock LCA are junk...

I've seen guys with these kind of mods dip into the 12's... ..

Reply to
John S.

I'm not gonna bet you up about street racing..been there done that out in the country, a lot different than the suburbs. save some cash buy a used car, plunk the difference into upgrades. you said later GT do you mean 2005 up body style or are you willing to go with the previous style? around here you can pick up a clean 93-95 GT 5.0 for well under $10k. rebuilt 5.0 installed $4200

3:73 posi unit $500 exhaust manifolds $500 rest of exhaust $700 Turbo kit $4000 SCT tuner $400 (the best IMHO) cost of car $10000 ( you can probably save a lot here) total in car $19600 This will run circles around the Silverado, able to daily drive, virtually built proof. Put on a set of stickies and low 12's or high 11's are possible. and you'll do it with a car that's five years older than the Silverado.

leaves some room for tires, wheels, stereo and few other mods and your still cheaper than the price of the newer GT's even used....

Good luck

Reply to
walt peifer

Or, pick up a 5.0 fox body 91 -93 for about $1,500, add supercharger $4,000 (not turbos) redo the motor $4200, redo paint $300, for about $10,000 or so

New mustangs bog when you stomp the gas, they have a torque limiter.

Reply to
Dr Moria

Torque limiter is easily taken care of with an X-Cal2! LOL! A X-Cal2 get's rid of the torque limiter and greatly improves throttle response.. great fix for $400... (there are of coures other tuners out there... )

Or better yet! if you want the S197 looks... pick up a used S197 V6... say $13K to $15K... drop a Powerhouse Turbo in it... run mid-12's!!! Buddy of mine is running 12.8 with his S197 V6 with a stock 4.0L on

8.5# of boost... this weekend they were upping to the boost to 11#... should put him mid-12's... and it's an automatic! Gosh... can you imagine that... smoked by a V6 AUTOMATIC!!! LOL!

(BTW... the Powerhouse car on 14#'s is in the 11's... i think 11.6 or

11.8! On a STOCK 4.0L!)
Reply to
John S.

Or, Get a 99 - 04 SVT Lightning and show him just how much more of a bad ass hot rod pickup it is than the Silverado.

Reply to
Toad Monster

Taodie... THAT was the best idea yet.

Reply to
Kate

Dude, I think you need to do somemore research. Someones feeding you a bunch of cow patties. I have a 2006 Pony ( Yes Pony ) 4.0 Liter 210 hsp 5 speed and it does the quarter mile in just under 14.9 sec which sucks, but hey its a 6 cyl.Hell it goes from 0 to 60 and back down to 0 in 6.9 sec. Ive test drove the 2006 and 2007 with the 5.4 DOHC 32 valve 5 spped ( 500 Horse power ) and there's no way bet any money that a shity Silveroda Pick up truck can beat the Mustang off the Line. It's not always Horse power any way it's the driver that makes the car. One thing to remember anyway. Example ( Me ): It's not how fast you get there ,when you look good enough getting there people wait on you. Oh and my ride looks SWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 1 Web @

Reply to
Anonymous

Heck old VW bugs used to beat everything off the line and for the first 50 feet or so before their doors were blown off :0)

Reply to
Spike

you can increase your times by going uphill, time for 1/8 mile, or put in a

4 cylinder.
Reply to
Nomen Lapetos