Ford 390 engine interchangability

Now that I'm finally semi-retired the first project is putting another engine in my 74 F-100. It originally had a 360 from the factory and later two different 390's. It currently has a 390 from a junk LTD and appears to have a cracked block. Used to be 332/390 series engines were a dime a dozen, all I had to do was find a junk Mercury or LTD station wagon. I'm hearing the thing to do now is put in a 460 in it. Is the 460 an easy in and out engine swap?? Or is there any other late Ford V-8's that will be an easy in and out job?? Thx in advance for any advice, it is really appreciated, Jim

Reply to
Jim

FE's (390) have a different transmission bolt pattern/mount from the 460, so you will need a 460 automatic transmission or a 460 bell housing as well...

Other than that on the '74 F-100 you my need 460 accessory mounting brackets, exhaust parts and pieces, motor mounts and stands, and a truck oil pan?

Good luck

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Jim,

The 360/390 series block is from the FE family of Ford blocks. The 460 is from the 385 series. They are not as similar as you would guess. The 460 is an excellent choice, but it will take some work getting there. You will need to find a bell housing for the 385 series pattern. This would include the 335 series (i.e. cleveland blocks). If you are dealing with an automatic, this may not be a big issue. If you can get an engine/tranny combo, this will help with flywheel issues as well.

There are some other issues you will need to deal with. bottom line is the

390 and the 460 are from different engine familys and are not direct bolt in.

Reply to
Antique Muscle

No, the 385 series engines have a bigger bell housing bolt pattern, all of the the original 1970-1974 335 series "Cleveland" engines have a "small block bolt pattern, just like the 302/5.0 that will not fit the 460 block. Some of the early 1974ish 351M/400 blocks had the small block bell housing bolt pattern as well. All of the later 400's were the same "big block" bell housing bolt pattern as the 460.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

All FE motors (330 -28) use the the same bellhousing pattern.

221, 260, '64 early 65 289 use unique 5 bolt pattern.

Mid '65 and on 289, 302, 351W, 351C, as well as 250 and 300 6cyl share a common pattern.

351M, 400M, 429 and 460 share a common pattern; the 385 series mount.
Reply to
alphonso