Ford GT Puts Viper On the Trailer

Viper - 12.07 @ 120 mph Ford GT - 11.69 @ 122
Test Summary: Dodge Viper SRT-10 Base price: $80,995, Price as tested: $84,795 Engine: 8.3-liter/505.0 cu.-in. OHV 20v V10
HP: 500 @ 5600 rpm, Torque: 525 ft.-lb. @ 4200 rpm, HP/liter ratio: 60.2, Trans: 6M Powertrain: front engine/rear drive, Axle ratio/type: 3.07:1/limited-slip, Curb weight: 3357 lb. Weight/HP ratio: 6.7, Tires: Michelin Pilot SPORT, f: 275/35ZR18, r: 345/30ZR19 Acceleration: 0-30 mph: 1.95 sec., 0-60 mph: 4.30 sec., 1/4-mile: 12.07 sec. @ 120.04 mph
The Viper has officially been dethroned. Last time we conducted this test, the big Dodge was the quickest car, belting out a blistering 12.08 at 118.51 mph. This time it ran quicker and faster and still found itself running third. Who would have thought that a Viper would be sent packing on grudge night at the local dragstrip? Okay, let's get realistic here. With 500 hp and 525 ft.-lb. of torque, the Viper is certainly no slouch. And to beat it at the strip, you'd have to roughly double its $84,795 sticker price. The Viper is a huge bargain. It's also easy to turn the mammoth 345/30ZR19 rear tires into smoke. Get too aggressive with throttle and this monster will sit there and spin its tires into a dense cloud. But with a little clutch slippage and less than 3000 rpm showing on the tach, you can get out of the hole and down the track. There is so much power and so much torque that each gear change happens with Richter scale ferocity. Any car that will do over 120 mph in the quarter-mile qualifies as scary fast in our book.
--
Test Summary: Ford GT
Base price: $139,995, Price as tested: $145,000 (Est.), Engine:
Patrick wrote:

No way. $150,000 cars are not for working stiffs. (And who here believes you will actually be able to waltz into a dealership and pick one up at that price?) You're talking mortgaging two or three years of your after-tax income to buy one of these. I'd rather retire two or three years early. You can achieve these performance levels in a Vette or even a Mustang for alot less dough.
180 Out TS 28
180 Out wrote:

It's not a matter of affording it but of getting my hands on one. You're right about getting one ahead of all the "connected" people. I figure my best chance will be during the second year of production. Assuming the demand levels off a bit. If it doesn't level off then I may have to wait on the Cobra or pick up a used one. Even at a price of $150,000 the GT is a lot of car for the money. Nothing coming out of any new car dealership can touch it for the price.
"the quickest production car to be had in any new-car dealership on planet Earth"
isn't the Enzo the quickest?
how does the 03/04 Cobras stack up against the Viper / Vette / GT
rja

I can name at least 8 quicker, still in production, cars:
Ferrari Enzo (660 bhp) Mercedes SLR (626 bhp) Porsche Carrera GT (612 bhp) Koenigsegg CC8S (655 bhp) Koenigsegg CCR (806 bhp) RUF R-Turbo (590 bhp) - Manufactured by RUF, not modified by RUF Pagani Zonda C12-S (555 bhp) - S7 might be quicker, but I doubt the GT is Lamborghini Murcilago (571 bhp) - S7 might be quicker, but I doubt the GT is And possibly the Mosler MT900R (445 bhp, but really light)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in

Ah, but now you've stacked the deck. Bold a mild blower or a turbo on the 'Vette or Viper to even the playing field and the Cobra eats the others' dust.
Joe wrote:

But that little $25 pulley returns hugh hp gains. I don't think there's any performace enhancing mod you could do to the Vette for just $25. I can't think of another car that is more detuned from the factory than an '03-'04 Cobra. I wonder what the cost would be for the Vette to reach the hp of a Cobra with the typical $1,500 mod package that gets them 500 rwhp/rwtq. The Vette does have a major weight advantage though. Plus, once you start talking about handling the Cobra loses hands down.

Joe,
Micheal hit it right on the head. With the Cobra there is no need to add a $2,500-$4,000 forced induction system to "stack the deck"... the Cobra, as you know, already has a puffer. Just a couple inexpensive "safe bets" on a pulley/K&N/airbox and the deal is done.
Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in

I see where you guys are coming from, and you make great points. I'm looking at it from the other side, though.
The Cobra is benchmarked with the blower, and getting an extra 50-100 hp isn't too difficult. But once you go beyond that, you're hard pressed to do too much more without _major_ bucks.
With cars like the Corvette and Viper, the benchmark is much lower considering they're n/a, so there's lots more room for improvement. Agreed, to step up to the Cobra benchmark takes $5k or so with the 'Vette and Viper, but once you get to that level you're _way_ beyond where the Cobra would be.
I guess the bottom line is that there's a place for all three cars. The Cobra is the "economy" choice (relatively speaking), the Corvette is the middle ground, and the Viper is the big $$ car. Certainly the Cobra will perform, but at the level you guys are talking about, it's getting pretty close to the ceiling; the other cars have a lot more room to "grow".
Joe wrote:

The thing that makes me respect the '03-'04 engines is that people are getting insane hp levels from them without ever removing the valve covers. The last one I read about made 800+ rwhp using a turbo with a relatively low boost level. IMO, it has to be one of the best, if not the best (and strongest) production engines ever put in a relatively high volume car like the Mustang. KB (and Whipple) is coming out with a kit using a larger twin screw that will supposedly make 800+ rwhp/rwtq that is basically a bolt-on replacement for the blower. This puts it up there, hp wise, with the Lingenfelter twin turbo Vettes and for much less money spent. BTW, here's a link to that sweet twin turbo Vette: http://www.lingenfelter.com/performance725turbols1corvette.asp

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

Notice he referenced 880 ft-lbs of torque with the larger turbo. Too bad he didn't give a hp number. They did remove the valve covers... to get them powder coated!

Guys out here that have too much money are building 6.0 GM small blocks with twin turbos. They use LS1 Corvette heads and are pulling over 1,000 HP. My friend has a 514 Ford with one dominator on a flat intake. 990 HP on race gas. No turbo, no nitrous. Has C460 heads. Car weighs 2200 empty and has run 8.63 @ 158.8. We have a street driven 89 Mustang out here that runs 8.87 @ 165 MPH in street trim. 355 inch with twin turbos. I can send you a movie if you have a fast connection. Imagine a guy in a GT catching him at a light:)
Anyone else run into the 10 second Toyota Supras? Another embarrassing car to stop next to.
BTW: A Ford dealer told me they have an allotment for one GT. They sold it for $250K and have a $100K deposit. That's almost 100K over MSRP. Whoa!! Could that be true?
Al

Yeah, I believe it. Of course those few coming to the Denver area will be going into the owner of the dealerships personal garages. I've heard that there will be around 6 coming to the Denver Metro area in the initial *release*.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS
Big Al wrote:

I don't doubt the first ones will command a very high price. My strategy is to wait until later in the run or pick one up used. My fall back position is to wait on the production version of the Shelby Cobra. It's supposed to be less expensive and a little more attainable. I wouldn't be suprised if Ford doesn't extend the GT's production number and run length if the demand is high. It would only generate more profit for Ford.

But the Cobra is the only one that allows me to scare the wife *and* the kids at the same time. <insert maniacal laughter> -- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Dialing up the boost is a modification, so at that point you have to open the other cars up to mods. I have seen a new Corvette here locally that says 600 hp on the license plate.
I believe it is one of ATI Procharger's test cars because it had one of their badges on the back and was headed towards their offices.
That's awesome, Patrick... both cars are soooooo nice..
-Mike

Here is the test data that caught my attention for the GT.
0-60 mph: 3.43 sec