Ford GT Puts Viper On the Trailer

But that little $25 pulley returns hugh hp gains. I don't think there's any performace enhancing mod you could do to the Vette for just $25. I can't think of another car that is more detuned from the factory than an '03-'04 Cobra. I wonder what the cost would be for the Vette to reach the hp of a Cobra with the typical $1,500 mod package that gets them 500 rwhp/rwtq. The Vette does have a major weight advantage though. Plus, once you start talking about handling the Cobra loses hands down.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

That's good enough to surprise more than a few motorcycles.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

You very seldom encounter a situation on the street where anything besides the 0-60 mph time matters. The Viper is quite a bit slower.

The other numbers are more important if you plan to spend some time at the track.

Reply to
Mark Jones

One of the most impressive things I've seen the GT do is in the Superbowl commercial. The driver kicks out the rear with a little throttle and subsequent wheel spin when negotiating a curve at high speed. It sends a chill down my spine every time I see it. It looks like the drive can easily make the car do anything he wants with little effort. Here's a link for those interested:

Click on the "Play TV Spot" link.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe,

Micheal hit it right on the head. With the Cobra there is no need to add a $2,500-$4,000 forced induction system to "stack the deck"... the Cobra, as you know, already has a puffer. Just a couple inexpensive "safe bets" on a pulley/K&N/airbox and the deal is done.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I see where you guys are coming from, and you make great points. I'm looking at it from the other side, though.

The Cobra is benchmarked with the blower, and getting an extra 50-100 hp isn't too difficult. But once you go beyond that, you're hard pressed to do too much more without _major_ bucks.

With cars like the Corvette and Viper, the benchmark is much lower considering they're n/a, so there's lots more room for improvement. Agreed, to step up to the Cobra benchmark takes $5k or so with the 'Vette and Viper, but once you get to that level you're _way_ beyond where the Cobra would be.

I guess the bottom line is that there's a place for all three cars. The Cobra is the "economy" choice (relatively speaking), the Corvette is the middle ground, and the Viper is the big $$ car. Certainly the Cobra will perform, but at the level you guys are talking about, it's getting pretty close to the ceiling; the other cars have a lot more room to "grow".

Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That _is_ an awesome commercial - one of the best I've ever seen. I've got it on my hd if you need it.

Joe

I scavenged through the cache of my browser and found it. I had to rename the file with the proper extension but it works. It's even better when listening to it through a good set of speakers.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

The thing that makes me respect the '03-'04 engines is that people are getting insane hp levels from them without ever removing the valve covers. The last one I read about made 800+ rwhp using a turbo with a relatively low boost level. IMO, it has to be one of the best, if not the best (and strongest) production engines ever put in a relatively high volume car like the Mustang. KB (and Whipple) is coming out with a kit using a larger twin screw that will supposedly make 800+ rwhp/rwtq that is basically a bolt-on replacement for the blower. This puts it up there, hp wise, with the Lingenfelter twin turbo Vettes and for much less money spent. BTW, here's a link to that sweet twin turbo Vette:

Michael Johnson, PE

But the Cobra is the only one that allows me to scare the wife *and* the kids at the same time.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Here's a link regarding the twin turbo Cobra:

Notice he referenced 880 ft-lbs of torque with the larger turbo. Too bad he didn't give a hp number. They did remove the valve covers... to get them powder coated!

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Guys out here that have too much money are building 6.0 GM small blocks with twin turbos. They use LS1 Corvette heads and are pulling over 1,000 HP. My friend has a 514 Ford with one dominator on a flat intake. 990 HP on race gas. No turbo, no nitrous. Has C460 heads. Car weighs 2200 empty and has run

8.63 @ 158.8. We have a street driven 89 Mustang out here that runs 8.87 @ 165 MPH in street trim. 355 inch with twin turbos. I can send you a movie if you have a fast connection. Imagine a guy in a GT catching him at a light:)

Anyone else run into the 10 second Toyota Supras? Another embarrassing car to stop next to.

BTW: A Ford dealer told me they have an allotment for one GT. They sold it for $250K and have a $100K deposit. That's almost 100K over MSRP. Whoa!! Could that be true?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"Big Al" wrote

Yeah, I believe it. Of course those few coming to the Denver area will be going into the owner of the dealerships personal garages. I've heard that there will be around 6 coming to the Denver Metro area in the initial

*release*.
Reply to
66 6F HCS

I don't doubt the first ones will command a very high price. My strategy is to wait until later in the run or pick one up used. My fall back position is to wait on the production version of the Shelby Cobra. It's supposed to be less expensive and a little more attainable. I wouldn't be suprised if Ford doesn't extend the GT's production number and run length if the demand is high. It would only generate more profit for Ford.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE