Ford Lightning Pickup or Dodge Magnum RT Wagon?

Might be signs the constant solid growth in the SUV/big pickup market is starting to show some stress cracks. Read on... and then take the poll.

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

market

Spinella,

automaker's

believe

pickup

analysis,

The thing that kills the Lightning for me is that it only has room for two. If it had a 3rd center seat, I'd go for it. But given the two choices, I'd opt for the Magnum.

Some quick comments/opinions: a) GM's entire truck line is ancient, tiresome, and awful. b) Ford's new F150 is awesome. c) Ford's Ranger needs an overhaul (with a V-8). d) The best looking truck in showrooms today is the Ram. e) The best performance truck in showrooms today is the SRT-10.

A prediction: SUVs will gradually turn back into AWD station wagons. Volvo's already there.

Joe

If I needed the open bed of a pick-up it would be the Lightning, but if I was replacing a large SUV it would be the Magnum. If I were in a position where my family needed to move up from a sedan to a minivan/SUV of some type it would definitely be the Magnum

Reply to
WraithCobra

I'd take the Magnum only because I'd have use of a station wagon type vehicle and I think pick-up trucks are ugly vehicles with no value in a city unless you happen to be a tradesman.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

I would get the Lightning.

Reply to
Mark Jones

I traded in my 2000 Ranger 4x4 and got a 2004 F-150 4x4 Lariat.

I prefer the looks of the F-150 over the Ram and the SRT-10 has very little cargo carrying capacity so it is kind of useless as a truck.

Reply to
Mark Jones

You hit the nail on the head. Here and in other NG's, I have heard nobody refer to the Magnum as a station wagon. I actually saw two of them today. I almost wrecked both times trying to check them out.

I would really, like a Lightning...but I love station wagon's. I could only own one if I still had a Mustang.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

im a ford mechanic there junk buy the magnum or better yet get the ram SRT

500 horsepower sport truck
Reply to
seabringlx2003

They can't see the forest for the trees. Large vehicle sales down. light vehicle sales are up. Could it be we're not paying a buck fourty for gas anymore? John

Reply to
jriegle

Easy question since I plopped down big dough already for the magnum RT

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote in news:M8oFc.2909 $ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Did you get it yet?

Joe Calypso Green '934 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

Dude,can't you feel me smiling? Yes I did last week Thursday! Awesome! Still love my 66 Mustang too (Quick disclaimer to spare me from being flamed or cast out of this NG)

See picture in the link below Dude!

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"

"Mark Jones" wrote in news:xmlFc.2920$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Nice. Friend of mine just got the 4-door 2WD version.

If I bought an SRT-10 it wouldn't be for it's carrying capacity.

Joe

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote in news:EAqFc.3572$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Real nice! Driving impressions? Performance? 1/4 mile time? ;)

Joe

The lightning does have a center seat. :) Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Take a guess which one I would buy! Too bad no lightnings until '06 though. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Didn't take it to the tracks yet! ;-( } So I have to rely on the published numbers below from

:Horsepower : 340 hp @ 5000 rpmTorque : 390 lb-ft @ 4000rpmRedline : 5800 rpm

Top speed : 130 mph(electronically limited)

0-60 mph : 5.8 sec. 0-¼ mile : 14.6 sec @ 97.5 mph 60-0 braking distance : 125 ft 200 ft skidpad : 0.80 g

I can tell you that it hauls! From every position on the freeway power is abundant!

For a second, let's pretend my alter ego was driving on 210 freeway at 120 mph and suddenly all cars ahead looked lik tye were stopped as they came up on him so fast! Slammed on the break and that bad boy stopped perfectly and in a civilized manner.

I have found no fault on it, except for the whimpy exhaust. I describe it as the sound a dainty girl will make if she farts! You have to drivwe it to know what I'm saying here.

Back to Mustangs. I am taking my 66 out today, I've been ignoring him for a few weeks now!

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"

-------

I already made my choice: I bought a Lightning. :)

-- Jim

2003 Dark Shadow Gray Lightning
Reply to
Jim J

And rather ugly, IMO.

Bleah! Yuck! But that's just my personal opinion. :) I want a pickup, not a Kenworth wannabe.

For $15k more than the current Lightning, it had better be. But with less than $300 in easy mods, the current L will decisively outrun the SRT-10, haul 600 lbs. more in the bed and tow 5,000 lbs. more (since towing is "not recommended" for the SRT-10). And you've still saved about $14,700.

I agree. The Chrysler Pacifica is another example, as are the Subaru Outback and Forester. I don't think SUVs will disappear, but the pendulum seems to be slowly swinging toward tall wagons.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

Eric, act quickly! There are still 2004 Lightnings on the lots, and a few leftover '03s as well. :D A lot of current L owners -- like myself

-- probably won't be able to afford the Gen 3.

-- Jim '03 L

Reply to
Jim J