Ford stalls, wont idle

Howdy:

I have a 85 LTD CV, that stalls and wont idle. Its TBI's vacuum-activated, throttle positioner's plunger, can be extended about

1/8" with a MityVac. Is this 1/8" a correct setting? Or, should it move further?

Can anyone tell me how to test the solenoid that controls the vacuum to the positioner? The solenoid has two wires attached to it. Where does the signal(s) that controls the solenoid, originate?

I haven't any manuals or troubleshooting charts for this problem, but I'm hoping that some readers here, have encountered this problem, and are willing to share their solutions.

Thanks TD

Reply to
teamdebus

Sounds like the diaphragm in your Carb is shot. VERY common problem.

Check out the 5.0/5.8 Tech Forum on the Crown Vic website. GREAT bunch of folks there! VERY knowledgeable as well.

Tell them P71_Interceptor (ERIC) sent ya! :>)

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE > Howdy:

Reply to
Katmandu

Carb? No, it's fuel injected. The thingy that's supposed to kick (or stop) the throttle lever, doesn't move more than a fraction of an inch, with applied vacuum. Ergo, no idle.

Does anyone know of a DIY limp-home trick, to get around this malfunction?

TD

Reply to
teamdebus

Be sure to check and clean the EGR valve along with the spacer ports. This was/is a problem and will cause a stall along with a rough idle.

Good Luck

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Howdy:

Our CV is back on the road. The old, idle speed screw trick, should keep it running until the new throttle positioner arrives.

TD

Reply to
teamdebus