Four questions about my 95 Cobra

I'm the original owner....and where it was a daily driver for awhile, its just not getting used much anymore.

16K on the OD so far....and I'd rather keep it than sell it.

Question 1: The tires have good tread, but they have flat spots from storage...and they are 10 years old. Its time to replace them, but the OEM Goodyear GS-C's are $300+ each. I want something cheaper...in the $100 to $150 range. Remember, it doesn't get driven much, and when it does its not running on a track. At the same time, I dont want the Brand-X radials either. Can anyone recommend a decent tire? The Bridgestones and Firestones seem to be popular sellars online.......

Question 2: To avoid flat spots, how can I keep this car during the winter months when it may not get started very often. Are there safe ways to elevate a car in your garage that dont cost an arm and a leg? Or is it best to start it...roll the car around and shift weight to another part of the tire....

Question 3: I've got a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter in there, motorsports 3.73's in the rear, and a strut tower brace. But I do want to do one more thing to the car, even tho its not used that often. I want to lower it a bit. Stock springs give it an off-road look. Someone once upon a time said "throw in...these springs...." only I've long since forgotton what those springs were! :( Something like Ford Motor Sports "C" springs or something? In other words I want to put springs in there that wont cause me to have to change other components if I dont have to.....anyone know the part I need?

Question 4: Can someone recommend a good clutch replacement cable? My car has this nasty habit of, after sitting in traffic, really not wanting to go in and out of gear without force...sometimes I have to do a Clutch-Neutral-Clutch-Try the gear again just to get it to work.....I'm thinking the clutch cable is stretching...is that..like..complete and utter bullshit, or might I be on to something there? :) Thanks....

Reply to
headrusch

I've been running Firestone Firehawks for about two years. They've been great tires -- nice grip, great in the rain and quiet on the highway

Use a floor jack and put it up on jack stands.

Or is it best to start

Only start the car if you're going to *drive* it for 20+ minutes!

Personally, I'd go with some Eibach progressive rate springs. Ford themselves have used Eibach on some of their showcars. That's saying something.

I'd do a transmission fluid change and then install one of Steeda's adjustable clutch cable quadrants.

Patrick '93 Cobra (116K miles)

Reply to
NoOption5L

Sounds like a good option.....much more reasonably priced than the Goodyears...

Hmmm....I dont usually do that, i keep it on a trickle-charger most of the winter. I guess its definately time to invest in some jack stands.

Hmmm....you wouldn't happen to have a part number handy, would you? Is that the only part I'd need to replace??

Hmmm....ok, I'll look into this. I believe I had the tranny fluid changed, but I'd have to check the old invoices when I had work done.

Thanks again for the information!

Reply to
headrusch

Sorry...a second followup...are these the Eibach's we're talking about?

Thx

Reply to
headrusch

These.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Oh, and when you replace the springs, buy some new spring insolators and install a quality brand of shock/strut like Konis.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

You might want to check out the FRPP M5400-A suspension system.

Reply to
Richard

Now....because it isn't driven very many miles, if I dont replace the shocks/struts, am I looking simply at premature shock/strut failure in a shorter than normal timeframe (since they will be more compressed...more of the time?)....or am I going to be going into geometry-hell, with uneven tire wear, bad camber, and so on....???

In other words, I dont want to have to replace the entire suspension if I dont have to in the short term....but if its going to hose my tires or make it impossible to keep the tires in alignment, thats another story.

Thx.

PS: The eibach l>

Reply to
headrusch