Gears or subs?

I know... ut wait, hear me out...

I was going to do both but for $ reasons, not anymore.

My 93GT (coupe) is totally stock except for synthetics, timing, and full no-cat exhaust.

Gears are over twice the price of subs installed. But if you get 1/10th of a second for every step up, is it worth the cost? Not to mention the worse highway mileage?

Subs, apparently make you feel like you have a whole new car?

I don't know.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

"Brad" wrote in news:EW1Kc.45595$od7.42986@pd7tw3no:

If you have to choose, do subs first.

Joe Calypso Green 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

Thanks.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

First, I just got gears installed.. I'm still hyped about them (calming down now).. and I haven't tried subframe connectors yet... but I say gears. A lot of ppl will flame me for this, but gears are awesome bang for buck. I know they're expensive, but DAMN... they're awesome. I hit 1st from 20mph roll & bark the bejeezus outta 2nd.. then 3rd comes along & I bark the shit outta the car... man just a great feeling. I never hit the twisties though, but I still plan on getting the JD Adams-recommended GW subframe connectors. If that doesn't pasify me, I'll get the GT Bullit package as well. HTH.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

If you have to ask... buy the speakers.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

FOFLMAO! I thought you meant Subs.. like sub woofers !!!! Yes, still go with the subs first. Then when you put in the gears all of that extra oomph won't be lost in body flex.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top With a personal touch... or two.
SVTKate

Gears and subs are both awesome mods, but I'd strengthen the car first (subs) then go for the gusto (gears). I really hated the "flexible flyer" feeling, especially going over bumps, so the subs were a priority. Now the car feels whole instead of the rear following the front. Gears were the icing on the cake.

wrote in news:o_4Kc.3114$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

Not to mention, as Kate put it, some of the extra oomph will be lost in body flex. You'll eventually twist up your car pretty badly if you continue to hammer on it. I've seen fox body cars that were totally stock (notchbacks even) that had the A-pillers cracked just because the kid drove the thing like he stole it every time. I had a slightly modified '88 GT that had 2.73 gears that would sit on three jackstands just fine because the fourth jackstand placed at the same height as the other three was a good 3-4 inches lower. The body was just twisted that much. Subframes would have prevented both of those problems by keeping the car from twisting like a pretzel every time the tires hooked.

JS

Reply to
JS

If you had subs on you would probably roast 2nd gear and not bark them. 3rd would be an even better bark. My lowly 89 GT went from not being able to bark second gear at all to being able to bark the living shit out of them when I want to.

Don Manning

man just a great feeling. I never hit the twisties though, but I

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yeah I don't like that feeling either. I want to get GW subs asap.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yeah... I really do want subs.. just can't afford 'em this check. Gotta wait another 2-4 weeks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

My car was so flexible that I had cracks in the a-pillars when it was stock with the 2.73s. With the subs everything's nice and solid.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

"JS" wrote in news:E6bKc.3291$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

Reply to
Joe

Mike, just make sure you get them welded and not bolted. And make sure the car's sitting level on its wheels when they're welded.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

wrote in news:s1eKc.3321$e43.19 @newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

mention

Reply to
Joe

Absolutely. With subs, a g-trac bar, and a strut tower brace, my car felt like a new car. The lowered springs just made it all that much sweeter.

One thing to mention is that you feel suspension mods 100% of the time. You feel power/gear mods only when you get on it.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:xrudnQWkDuMY12TdRVn snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

Okay guys. Thanks. Subs it is. I'm going to get them put in next week. I'll let you all know how it goes... I'm really looking forward to this! Thanks again!

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I knew about the welding thing... I'll keep that in mind a/b the keeping wheels level part. Didn't know. Thanks

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Damn... didn't realize it helped THAT much.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

LOL! I thought your first post was sarcastic and funny!!

Oh well, for what it's worth, I was thinking the sub was a sandwich.......

John

Reply to
John Del