generic (chev - OT) oil pressure question

We bought a "beater" ('87 Cavalier z-24) last fall when the Mustang was in the shop getting painted. Our goal was to sell it when the Mustang was back on the road. Long story short, we've kept the thing as a third vehicle.

Lately I've noticed that the oil pressure had begun to swing from fairly high while the car was at speed to fairly low when it's at idle. Today I was at a red light with the clutch down and the oil pressure went to the lowest mark (it's got one of those awful electronic display panels).

Am I screwed? Should I be happy the cement truck pouring a sidewalk across the street backed into us and we're at least getting some $ from that?

Reply to
D.K.R.

I'd say it was normal. Without knowing the real psi figures you have no way of telling if there is a problem. The viscosity of the oil may have changed, causing the problem. 10 psi per 1000 rpm was alway the rule of thumb I was given.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to