289 V8 Oil Pressure Question

Hi Studidudes, Does anyone know what the "normal" engine hot oil pressure range is supposed to be for a 1956 Studebaker 289 V8 engine? All I know is that
the oil pressure is normally lower in 62' and earlier engines than in the full flow filter engines. I'm using 15W40 weight. Cold I'm running about 55 PSI, but when at normal operating temperature of 180 degrees, the pressure run about 2-3 PSI at low idle (600 RPM) and around 25 PSI at 2000 RPM. Not too sure above that RPM. There is no decrease in oil pressure when you accelerate under load, so I'm confident that that main bearings are fine. Engine sounds perfect, no noises or audable indication that something isn't getting lubricated. Just looking for communists under bedsheets, maybe. Thanks, -George-
That is a bit low, but I've seen engines run 100K miles like that.
reichsrundfunk wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
This engine currently has 93K miles on the clock, John. -George- John Poulos wrote:

Enjoy the next 7,000 miles. <g> ( I intended to imply 100K miles with that kind of pressure, relax ).
reichsrundfunk wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Might as well go ahead and service the OPRV and make sure it's not sticking; I've never seen it happen but better safe etc.
good luck,
nate
reichsrundfunk wrote:

I actually thought of that but haven't toucheds it yet. -George- N8N wrote:

Is that pressure reading using a lab instrument or the gauge on the dash?
Karl reichsrundfunk wrote:

Original gauge on dashboard. I suppose I oughta try it on another gauge at least and see if it's off by much, but haven't done that yet. -George- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Should be in the range of 40 psi at that rpm which is close to when the oil pressure relief valve opens. Anything lower than 10 psi at hot idle should be a concern.
Questions:
1. What brand of oil are you using?
2. Have you considered measuring oil pressure on another gauge?
2. Is the restrictor in place in the partial oil filter circuit?
JT
reichsrundfunk wrote:

Very good questions. OK, the easy stuff---- I'm using Castrol GTX 15 W 40 "diesel' grade. I read the articles in TW and dumped all my 10 -40 the following day. I have not run a check with another gauge, and I guess I should have before placing my post. I'll do it tomorrow and report back on this thread. Thirdly, restrictor? Duhhh? The outlet hole which would run to the inlet of an oil filter is capped off, so no flow through that hole. Should there be something else there?
Finally, are your numbers for 63 and 64 engines or earlier? I had read somewhere that those engines specified 10 PSI hot idel and 40+ PSI at normal hot run. Earlier engines were a bit lower but I'm not really sure how much. -George-
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

reichsrundfunk wrote:

Well, you're using good oil so that can be eliminated as can be the return flow of a partial flow oil filter since it's capped.
I group all Studebaker engines together since oil pressure is seldom a problem. All of my cars peg the oil pressure gauge when cold and settle back to 20-30 psi at idle and 40-50 psi above 1,500 rpm.
If low oil pressure is confirmed with a known good gauge, the oil pump and/or bearings are suspect. Often overlooked is camshaft bearing clearance as well as the mains/rods. I would switch to a 160 thermostat though...
JT