GTO a bust?

Steve,

That's what I'm thinking. If dealer sales stay cool, these early GTOs will be a steal on the used car lots. Their only downside, again, is their lack of trunk space. But by then, and actually by next fall when both my kids will be out of the house, (my son left for college last week) I won't be packing much luggage.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I'm curious how the LS2 versions will sell. I saw that the LS2 is also slated for that SSR pickup thing.

Either way, I probably won't get anything any time soon.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

John,

Nothing beats surprising the unsuspecting. Nothing... it's a kick!

Sweet car!

My Dad used to have a '66 Star Chief. (I don't think I've ever saw another one.) The body and interior was in PRIMO condition when my father let the engine get low on oil and it blew up. He had it towed to the junkyard for scrap. I'm sure the guys at the junkyard probably fought over the car. I wanted the car so bad, unfortunately my paper-boy wages at the time weren't enough.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Having driven an '02 SS 6-speed, I can say that they don't use it very often and still stay within posted speed limits, that's for sure. The thing was virtually useless under 70MPH in 6th gear, and even 75 was pushing it if there was even a slight hill. I'm not sure that the Cobra suffers from the same problems.

JS

Reply to
JS

On 25 Aug 2004 10:07:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Richard) wrote something wonderfully witty:

In my `95 I do drive in 6th gear on interstate trips. I have averaged as high as 32 MPG on a trip. Usual combined driving is in the 24/26 mpg range. Now all it takes is a couple of really sprinted takeoffs to shoot those numbers all to hell. The gears that aren't used all that much are second & third unless one disables the first to fourth lockout device.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On 25 Aug 2004 19:16:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote something wonderfully witty:

I faced that issue when my cousin wanted to sell his two year old `71 Z28. That $2300 dollar investment on a two year old muscle car would really be worth something today. Nice car too. Bronze with black stripes.

Sold my `72 455 HO GTO for $1600 when I went to Korea in `79. At the time it only had a little over 35k on the clock. In good shape that car would bring in the 20's nowadays. Oh well, hindsight is just that. I've sold way to many cars for way to little back in the day compared to what they would be worth today, but hell I've done it with houses as well.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

This kind of argument could go on for days, but my points are simple; The GTO has the muscle, but it's compromised (IMO) by the weight of the car and it's handling and the whole car is compromised by it's looks. It's unfortunate that GM saw fit to kill two muscle cars (Trans Am and Camaro) only to bring on board a car that is inferior to both of them except maybe in interior design. Just WHO are they building them for anyway??

Reply to
Richard

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. Several months ago GM had a "driver expo" at the closed down El Toro (CA) Marine base where you could drive their cars as well as some competitors'. I did drive a GTO and was pleased, but not excited. When I got in my '90 LX 5.0 Hatch it dawned on me that the only difference was a nicer interior and $30,000 cash. For that kind of money I would like a little more style (although not like the picnic basket handle on the Neon SRT-4) and having the dual exhausts exiting one on each side instead of together on the left side.

So if I were to replace the LX today, it would be a Dodge Magnum Hemi (would rather wait for the SRT-8 version with 426 Hemi and equal horsepower) because its got power and is practical (can haul a Christmas tree home just like the LX).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Still angry and bitter because you have a small penis ther IGGY? BTW, hows the crack going? are you getting treatment?

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Rich, dont mind IGGY.. i mean, the dork names himself after a crack head 1920 rock and crack singer... What do you expect from him...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

A crack head old rock and crack singer with the last name of POP?

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

UGH, I htough the 94-98 mustangs look like girlmobiles...They look too damn tame, and look like a glorified older style cavalier...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Agreed, i had a 99+ gt and i get more looks with my 88gt cobra clone... too many people are driving the new style GT'S today, its getting rediculous... I see alot less FOXES out there and they are rare to come around here.... Yesterday i went to our nearest mall, which is about 8 miles away and counted 4 gt's just on the way there...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Still a dipshit I see?

Kick around your mom or girlfriend (or are they one and the same?) lately, you mysoginistic idiot?

By the way the decade and drug of choice you attribute to Iggy Pop is all wrong.....never mind your incorrect attribution of his name to my nickname. Sorry, binky.....but thanks for playing.

Reply to
Iggy

Now why the hell was that even posted, BeverlyOmasta? And wtf is with 94-98 mustangs being "girlmobiles"? And why are you interested in his penis size?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

From the Chicago Tribune:

GTO's sales performance gets Pontiac's goat

Published June 2, 2004

There are a few red faces at General Motors.

In the first four months of this year, sales of the Pontiac Aztek sport-utility vehicle, considered by many the most gosh-awful-looking vehicle on the planet, totaled 7,416 units, down from 11,311 a year earlier.

But the countdown to Aztek obscurity is not what's causing the red faces.

In the same period, sales of the Pontiac GTO totaled 2,800 units, meaning Aztek outsold the highly touted performance coupe by more than

2 1/2-1.

GTO is derived from the rear-wheel-drive Monaro produced by GM's Holden operations in Australia.

Even before GTO went on sale in late December, critics complained that the styling was plain and not suited to a nameplate that kicked off the muscle-car era in the 1960s.

While Pontiac is considering styling tweaks on future models to soothe the critics, it insists that as many people like the look as object to it and that styling isn't what held back sales.

"While we'd always like to sell more, we haven't been disappointed with GTO sales so far," Pontiac spokesman Tom Beaman said.

Not disappointed though Pontiac forecast sales of 16,000 to 18,000 units a year and is on target to sell only about 7,400?

But then, GTO was meant less as a styling exercise than a performance statement with its 5.7-liter V-8 that produces a potent 350 horsepower.

Beaman cites a winter launch of a rear-wheel-drive performance car as one reason for slow early sales in the Northern states.

Of course, you have to ask, why in the name of all that's holy would anyone introduce a rear-wheel-drive performance car in the dead of winter in the North?

But then, if anyone knew the answer to that question, they'd know why

7,416 bought the most gosh-awful-looking vehicle on this planet in the first four months of this year.

Another problem, Beaman says, is that Pontiac held to its commitment to supply each of Pontiac's more than 2,700 dealers with a GTO to use as a "halo" vehicle to attract folks into showrooms.

Those halos helped Pontiac sell 16 percent more cars in the period, though few of them GTOs.

He also said that while the GTO didn't fare too well in the Snow Belt over the winter, it's done well in Southern California, where Pontiac is traditionally weak. There, more than 40 percent of GTO sales are conquests--captured from rival brands--so more GTOs will be shipped there.

Pontiac is also counting on "The Last Ride," a made-for-TV movie that airs Wednesday on the USA Network, to raise awareness of the GTO.

Pontiac struck a product-placement deal to feature the GTO in the film.

Reply to
Richard

"Elinore" is is surely NOT. Sure hit the nail on the head about the Aztec! LOL Seems like it's all going down hill. Either they are excessively ugly, or bland because they look so much like everything else on the road.

There was a time when you saw a vehicle on the road and you knew exactly what it was. Today, you have to look for the emblems on a good share of them, and you can't even find that on some... or the company changed it.

I will be quite happy with my 65 FB. The 66 FB I sold last May was great. Kids were drawn to it like moths to a flame. Older people knew right away what it was and marvelled at it's condition... some joking that the car was in better shape than they were...

No, it's not a Cobra, Viper, etc, but it's special, and a bit uncommon, and when the suspension is tuned, it's surprisingly quick and agile.

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Dave,

The LXs weren't particulary "stylish." Purposeful is a much better description. And I think purposeful describes the GTO too. I see similarities between them. Only one is '80's the other 21st style.

I've already test driven one. I liked it! I just wish they'd come with a stick shift. An SRT-8 version would really be sweet!!

IMO, the ONLY visual change from the regular Hemi magnum should be a very small 425 HP badge.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Patrick--I agree with you about the badging and a 6 speed in a Magnum.

Dave

90 LX 5.0 67 Dodge R/T
Reply to
Dave Combs