Heat Shroud/Air Cleaner

Right now my 1965 289 engine has one of those simple chrome air cleaner and filter systems. The engine starts and runs really nice. I just acquired an air cleaner assembly (filter assembly, air snorkel, and heat shroud assembly) and will put it on as soon as I get it cleaned up (sandblasted and repainted). The heat shroud is in pretty good shape but I plan to find a better one. Anyways, I plan to install the air cleaner and air snorkel without the heat shroud. What can I expect?

Reply to
Peter

You can expect to spend some time, do a little work, and spend some money.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Peter

The purpose of the heat shroud is to direct air off the exhaust manifold into the intake on cold start up. When the engine is warm, a little door in the intake tract closes and blocks that flow, and allows cold air in through the snorkel. By eliminating all that stuff, you allow better air flow into the carb. This may or may not provide a noticable improvement in performance, depending on the engine and how you drive it. It will also take a little longer to warm up when it's really cold. my '66 has an open element air cleaner. But I rarely drive it when it's really cold.

Reply to
.boB