66 Ford Mustang- VIN where located? help

Hi, On a 66 Ford Mustang, she went to title it and VIN inspector at the local DMV could not read the VIN under the hood clearly enough to "sign off" on the title change(driver side of engine compartment above front wheel fender).

Lady showed the vehicle VIN number on the left passenger door, but they do not accept that as official (though it is same number that appears on the vehicle title).

Is there another location for the complete VIN (hidden, perhaps) and how would I advise her to get to it so the inspector can "inspect it"

-- same for the VIN on the engine -- where is the VIN number stamped on the engine -- it's a big (and dirty) engine?

thanks.

Reply to
Papadad

"Papadad" wrote

Look on both inner fender skirts on the top, right above the shock towers. It's stamped into the sheet metal. The one on the passenger's side is usually covered by the outer fender. Many do not know that the VIN is on the passenger side also because it is hidden. The fact that all 3 of those VIN's should match should be enough for the DMV guy. Here's a pic of the location from my website.

The VIN is not stamped on the engine that early. That didn't happen until '67 I believe, and only on the BB's, then later on it was on all the blocks.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Thanks. The problem is that the VIN on the driver side is mashed pretty good from some dent repairs and it can just partially be read. now the next question -- how do I remove the front passenger fender -- where are all the bolts located. I see 6 bolts at the engine compartment. Aside from that, were are the other bolts that I need to get to in order to remove the fender? Thinking about removing it, and, if in good shape, driving the car to the motor vehicle place with the fender removed to facilitate easy look-see inspection.

thanks again.

Reply to
Papadad

Try the easy road first. Take the engine compartment fender bolts off...well maybe keep the front one on to help protect the headlight bucket...you might be able to pull the fender back enough to expose the vin. It doesn't need to move much.

Otherwise There is a bolt on the bottom, behind of the front tire...There's going to be some involved with the headlight bucket....The bumper has a bolt going thru it......Open the door and there's one in the upper corner. I think there's one behind the inner splash guards (which can be a pain to remove with 40 years of buildup)...maybe not, so save that for last and maybe you won't have to mes with it.

All-in-all a pain to take the fender off...then you'll have to get it back on and re-aligned.

Happy hunting.

Reply to
Dinsdale