Heres another one.. Regarding quarter panel replacement

This is really hard to explain, but I shall do my best. I am in the midst of replacing the quarter panels in my 1967 mustang fastback. What I have is a quarter skin, that is obviously not for a fastback (I don't believe they make them?).. Now, the main problems on my existing (original) panel, are it is real rusty from the middle of the wheelwell back. I cut from the middle of the wheel well, up a bit, and then to the back (and made a straight cut across on the back 'lip' that goes around to be welded).. My problems are as follows, and the list is numerous, as I've been thinking of different ways to do this. Originally, I was just going to cut the new quarter skin to fit what I cut out. However, I can't flange near the wheel well (as I can't get in there, since the outer wheel well is there), and it would seem to me I can't flange there anyways, because the quarter has a lip that gets welded to the wheelwell. What I mean is, if I flange the quarter, it will become kind of crooked, and won't bea good flange right where that metal bend into the lip. ALso I don't know if i can flange the 90 degree area that I cut out, as I've never flanged, and don't know if you can flange a corner without warping the metal? Finally if I flange the top, I will have another problem with the lip at the back (unless of course I cut a little notch right before the lip so the metal can bend without distoring anything?). So I COULD butweld it in, but I'm a little hesistant to do that. My problems with this method, #1, the new skin doesn't seem to have the right bend at the bottom rear for the valence to attach. Doesn't look anything like the original. #2, There is a bit of rust in the front of the wheelwell where the quarter attached, and I don't want to do all this and have it rust out.

My other option was to drill out all the spot welds from the quarter, and cut a line near the top, HOPING that the quarter will match up if i cut below the top (since the skin obviously isn't for a fastback). My problems with this are, my skin doesn't have cutouts for the ornaments.. Also the shape of the metal around where the cutouts should be doesn't look as crisp and sharp as the original. The skin doesn't seem to be a very good copy, but i have heard they are all like this. Plus the front of the quarter is in really nice shape, except for a small dent or two, which is why I really wouldn't want to cut it out to replace it with a shoddy piece. My friend suggested cutting out the original cutouts (for the ornament pieces in front of the wheel wells) from the original quarter, right at the top of the creases, and then welding them into the skin, but I don't really like that idea, because I don't know how good of a job I can do, and since the quarter skin doesn't have as sharp of creases and what not, I'm kind of hesistant that it won't fit in there properly. Are all skins like this? I was looking at some from Laurel Mountain Mustang and they have the cutouts.. but are they exactly the same as the original? And is the rear valence the same? Also they are for the coupe. Nothing for the fastback. If I were to buy a new one, can i just cut a horizontal line across the top and flange it and cut the top off the new skin and lay it across? How would I flange at the sides of the horizontal cut since it meets the lip to be welded? Just cut little slits right at the ends to allow room for it to bend? Any advice is appreciated, as I have stared at it for hours, literally, trying to figure out the best method to do this with. As I said, I'd feel bad cutting out the front of the original quarter since it's still good, but it seems where it meets with the outer wheelwell could pose a problem down the road. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, as I can only see a little rust, but... Thanks a lot in advance. Really appreciate it!

Reply to
JohnnyK