Replacing quarters.. you guys are my final hope.. :)

about to replace the 1/4s on my mustang, running into some problems.. I have a 1/4 skin (i cannot afford the full quarter), and it is obviously for the coupe.. any way to get it to fit the fastback? IT looks ok near the door jamb, but after a foot or so, it starts to get quite dented up to the 'fold' where it starts to turn into the roof.. If I just cut the lip near the front of the new skin, will she fit on? if so, how far back do I need to gut the new skin to make it fit the fastback? (Just a quick question.. thought there was a lead seam up there where it turns into the roof.. i can't seem to find one?)

2nd question.. Flanging.. I guess I should flange the new patch to fit.. But it's going to be cut, probably, at the front of the wheel well, straight up, then across the top to the back.. if i flange both long cuts, won't the metal buckle at the top corners where the flanges intersect? Also, how would I go about where the lip begins to mate with the wheel well, and the tailight panel (where the plug welds are).. I assume if i flange right up to that point, the flap (plug weld spot) will buckle in.. Should i cut a slit or something? Also, should I just continue the 'horizontal' cut across the flap at the same location, and just kind of buttweld that part to the existing flap? and finally.. When flanging (never done it).. i assume it is recommended that i have a straight cut at the top, so I can leave 1/4" or whatever it is and just flange it to get a perfect cut.. the dents go almost all the way up, so i would have to keep the original curve.. how would I flange that? Will it not screw it up? Thanks guys! REALLY appreciate this one..
Reply to
Johnny K

The lead seam is up by top of the louvers, I'd stay away from that if I was you. The factory panels go all the way up and include the "coke bottle" fender crowns. This is the biggest difference from the coupe and 'vert as they have a very small kick up back there. The trick is to keep as much of the original "Coke Bottle" curve as possible and join the skins a bit lower where the contours of the coupe more closely resemble the fastbacks. What you'd normally do is cut the crown line off the new skins an offer it up to your FB and trim it down to the point where it matches in contour. Cut your FB 1/4s leaving enough meat to flange it.then mig it on. putty, prime paint.....

I really gotta get over and see ya bud! I'm not sure what you're trying to do there, I have to see what ya got to work with. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

This is the

back there.

and join the

leaving enough

i have clue what you are saying? Get down here! Xmas is over.. There is beer in it for you! :) Am i supposed to flange the new metal or the original?

Reply to
Johnny K

This is the

back there.

and join the

leaving enough

Reply to
Johnny K

I'll try to make some time next weekend. I have the bathroom torn apart these weekend so no time ( as usual) If you can hold out till then I'll take a look. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Reply to
Johnny K

If the old quarters are still on the car, try to find a way to repair, rather than replace them. I cut the quarter off my '67 fastback and the replacement didn't fit by a long shot. It was the best replacement I could find, and it's still a butcher job. It's still in the welding (and rusting) stage. If you know somewhere I can post pics, I will take some tonight and post them so you can one example of an attempted replacement.

Reply to
Yen

Reply to
Johnny K