butt welding quarter panel skins?

I have one quarter skin, and it doesn't have the same front 'lip' as the fastback.. Everywhere I've looked, the skins say 'modify for fsbk'.. Are they the same, except for that front lip? If I cut lower than that, and take out the piece i cut out, will i be able to lay it overtop of my new skin and cut out a perfect fit?

Reply to
Johnny K

Johnny take a look at this site.

It's a '69 but he has a similar dilemma as the fastback has the side scoop up in the "coke bottle" area of the panel. You'll need to cut the repro panel lower than the crown line of the fender. So DON'T cut the old quarter too high. I'd offer up the new fender then trim it down to a point where the contours match. Then match that cut line onto the original quarter panel as a cutting guide as this fellow did. You could also lap weld it using the panel crimper as Kate suggested. In this case you'll want to leave the extra width on the original panel for the overlap. Not as "concourse" as a well done butt weld but that's your choice.

StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

in the "coke

crown line of

it using the

width on the

Reply to
Johnny K

Yep. That is what the mean by "modify for fstbk" You have to leave as much of the coke bottle there until the contours match. You could simply trim the top off of the new 1/4 panel about a 1/2 inch below crown line and then offer it up to the fastback and see how well they match and trim the new panel as needed. StuK

"coke

line of

trim

original

the

the

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Reply to
Johnny K

look up "The Eastwood Company" they have just about anything you'd need to do a panel replacement or body work,etc. and a bunch of other neat car restoration products also.

Reply to
winze

Yup, its a punch and flange tool, I have one...it's neet. It punches a 5/16 hole on one side and makes a flange on the other side...

I would'nt live without it anymore.

Serge

Reply to
Serge