How do I tell if this will work in my 68 coupe?

It's a 9-inch rear end with disc brakes, but I don't know if it will work in my fuelie 68 coupe. Is there a good resource for rear ends and what will interchange?

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

NO it will NOT it will be WAY TOO wide to fit your car.

You could measure the width of your current rear-end, and ask the seller to tell you the width of the much wider one he is selling, then you will know.

FYI: Your whole 68 coupe could damn near fit in side that Lincoln Town Cars trunk.

Reply to
351CJ

Just a shot in the dark, but you might email the seller...

Reply to
WindsorFox

As was pointed out, no way in hell. It's from a town car! A 70s one at that. Then again, it might be so much wider the wheels will sit completely outside the 1/4 panels :)

Reply to
Brent P

If the seller is mistaken it may be out of a Lincoln Versailes. In which case it would work in your '68 with some minor mods.

Reply to
Mark C.

That is true, but it is not likely anyone has mistaken a Lincoln Versailles for a Lincoln Town Car...

Reply to
351CJ

Sorry, I was meaning to put more emphasis on the "how would I find out" part of the question... Is there a book or web site any of you like which talks about Ford rear ends? I have found about a zillion 9" rear ends, but some are 28 and some are 31 spline, some are too wide, some are not wide enough, and then there's the whole brake issue.

Is there a good place that says "This rear end will go in cars X, Y and Z, and Q and P with caveats?"

Thanks! TC

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

Very few rearends will interchange between many other models and years, even if the axel housing is the appropriate width, the spring perches and shock mounts are often in different locations and there are many different drive shaft flanges and yokes.

If some welding and fabrication are within your abilities, your choices will expand tremendously. I have installed a 9 inch disc brake Lincoln Versailles (Leaf spring rear suspension) rearend into a 1979 Fox body Mercury Zephyr (upper and lower control arms & coil spring rear suspension). That required quite a bit of fabrication.

Good luck, and remember, Google is your friend.

Reply to
351CJ

However, that particular rear axle is valuable because it is one of those few that can be used widely. The versailles was a essentially a granada. A granada was essentially a stretched maverick. A maverick is very close to '65-'73 mustangs and of course mustangs were similiar to falcons. So that rear axle is valuable without the fabrication to all the leaf sprung compact fords. And of course with fabrication, cars like yours because it's more or less the correct width.

Reply to
Brent P