Trac - Loc

Is a trac lock a limited-slip carrier or a locker?

Thanks

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Jerry Bransford

Looks like this is the one I need.

Carl

Carl

Jerry- I think I'll pass on the trac-loc and get a lockright. How hard is a lockright to install?

Carl

Carl

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

is it a bad idea to buy a used locker? I may be able to get a used detroit for $50, which is considerably cheaper than a new lockright at $230.

Carl

Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The one I'm looking at is in an apparently good rear end with 4.10 gears. It's located far away so I told him I just want the locker. You're probably right -you usually are- .. I think I'll just shell out the $$ for a new one.

Is a locker difficult to install?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Bill- What about this one?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wow, so he is ripping someone off?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Is a lockright strong enough for my 4cyl turning 33's?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Yep but the axleshafts on your Dana 35c sure are not even close to being strong enough to run a locker and 33" tires. :eek:

Jerry

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Ya, I realize the risk. A lot of my friends run locked up D35's on large and larger tires. General rule of thumb: Drive it like its a D35. Even with the low-output 4cyl, I'm sure it will eventually break.

Thanks for the input guys.. looks like I'll be going with a brand new lockright.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

My thankfully long-gone D35c axle grenaded/self-destructed 6 weeks after installing a locker. The axle had 33" tires on it during a slow-speed u-turn at a light-controlled intersection when it grenaded loudly enough to cause people a block away to look up to see what happened. I strongly recommend you not install a locker into a D35c, no matter how carefully you drive it. The trouble it causes is just not worth it.

Jerry

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

There is a modification you can make to the Trak-Loc, to make the clutch pack tighter. This is worth thinking of, if you want a tighter locking effect, without grenading your axle. I am sure that there is a web page somewhere, but you just buy another clutch pack, and use one of the clutches from it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Jerry- What engine?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Like bill said, that looks like an open carrier taken out after putting a detroit in, go have a look here for your prices and pictures

unfortunately they don't have a pic of the dana 35 detroit, but you could look at the D 44, D 30, 9" ones etc. Good place to buy from, best I found on the net for prices, I am in Canada and saved $200.00 on my daughter's 9" detroit and $250.00 on my AMC 20 detroit. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Jerry Bransford