How do you remove the 5th gear synchro hub from a '95 T-5

I'm trying to remove the 5th gear from the cluster shaft on a '95 T-5. I am stuck on the synchronizer hub. It won't come off.

I drove the pin out of the 5th gear shifter fork, and I also removed the external C-clip from the end of the cluster shaft. This allowed me to remove, in order, (1) an internally splined washer which locks into the fine splines on the tip of the cluster shaft and which retains (2) a black conical washer which fits inside of (3) a brass "blocker" ring, which fits inside of (4) the synchronizer sleeve. Also removed are the three "inserts" (the little metal rectangles that look like tiny cars, that fit into the gaps of the synchronizer hub) and outermost of the two synchronizer springs. Also, the shifter fork necessarily came off with the synchronizer sleeve. But the inner ring, the synchronizer hub, will not come off.

(You can see most of these parts in p. 16 of Chris Neighbor's PDF at

. You can also see some of these parts, with the names that I'm using, as used in the pre-'92 T-5's, at Figure 3-14 of the Tremec Service Manual (

So that's my question. Why won't that synchronizer hub come off? What's the trick?

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

I've rebuilt a few of these and don't remember having a problem. Don't expect the hub to just slide off. I have a press and a good puller but I just can't remember what I used to remove it. BTW: I've never seen 5th synchro fail. Two of the ones I did had bad 2 gear synchro's and I replaced

1st thru 4th. What ever you do, change 1st. It's a real SOB to replace, but if you don't you'll be back in the transmission when it fails. Please don't ask me how I found that out:) A transmission guy told me using gear lube instead of ATF causes the problems??

Did you find a decent place to get parts? I found a place in CA that's great.

Al.

Reply to
Big Al

It could be that the T-5's you've dealt with were the pre-'92's, which don't have the reverse gear synchronizer. That seems to make a difference.

Just to clarify, I'm trying to get the 5th gear drive gear off the countershaft, which is supposed to just slide off, as opposed to the driven gear which is pressed in place on the output shaft and has to be pressed off. This pic shows the drive gear (the larger, lower down one) just about to slide off the end of the countershaft:

. As installed, this gear would besitting flush with the case. I'm not replacing anything, I'm attempting to install one of these countershaft stabilizers:
. They'resupposed to cure the tendency of T-5 countershafts to hog out the holein the back of the case.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

I just got off the phone with the 5speeds.com guy and he says on the later model T-5's you have to pry on the 5th gear to force the synchronizer hub off, either with two screwdrivers or a puller. I would not have tried that without an expert telling me to do it. (I wonder what Hurc Ast's take on this is.)

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Moron. Why even mention his name?