how do you get the screws out of the windshield bracket in a jeep wrangler tj

how do you get em out without scratching the paint or striping the screw, is it a standard L - wrench or a special tool ..... HELP

Reply to
randyno1

You don't, first get a 3/8" hand impact driver with the correct torx bit. It will take a couple whacks with a 2 lb hammer to get them to budge. Then replace the screws with SST and put some antisize on the threads. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

If these are the ones in the windshield frame you can remove the visor brackets and hose down the inside of the frame with penetrating oil.

After stripping out torx head you then weld a hex head bolt into the hole that use to be star shaped. The heat will help break the thread loose while giving the frame a nice, slightly burnt look.

It's a Jeep thing.....

Reply to
jeff

What caliber bullet did you use to shoot him in the head?

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Earle Hort> A guy in Seattle a few years back did

Reply to
twaldron

I put stainless steel hex head screws on mine. It looks more manly. While you are at it you may want to check out the various aftermarket offerings in stainless steel replacement hinges. A guy in Seattle a few years back did the whole Jeep in custom gold plated hardware.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Seattle is a little like Austin. This sort of eccentricity is encouraged there. It is too weird, even for me. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I know good people from Austin, but a certain nurse whom we like to call Dr. Foley comes from there too. He's hiding there now in fact. There is no reason a storm could not cross the equator. The clockwise/counter-clockwise effect is only strong enough to give storms their initial orientation. It is not strong enough to stop a storm dead in its tracks, or to cause it to dissipate, as many slack jawed yokels believe. Be aware however, that established weather patterns and currents, tend to keep to their own side of the Equator. You were probably both right.

When I was in high school, I read in Time Magazine Science Section, how somebody had constructed a huge, perfectly circular bathtub, with the drain exactly in the center, and filled it up with water, which was allowed to become perfectly still, just so that he could determine, once and for all, which way water swirls down the drain. Your tax dollars at work.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

On Wed, 03 May 2006 19:13:04 -0600, Earle Horton wrote:

Coriolis effect.

If Coriolis force drives weather systems in one direction in the northern hemisphere and another in the southern does this mean that hurricanes and other weather systems cannot cross the Equator?

Worried about hurricanes crossing the equator ? The Coriolis force is what we call an apparent force - it handles the problem that the earth is spinning and thus a point on the globe is always changing direction or always accelerating. You may also view Coriolis as a consequence of the conservation of angular momentum. At the equator you have a great deal as you are rotating about 25,000 miles in a day while someone on the poles is not moving anywhere in the same period. From your and my perspective air, rockets, and aircraft, are all deflected to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern. (Yes, they correct for Coriolis when they shoot artillery shells!) The Coriolis "force" is a maximum at the poles and zero at the equator. Observations show that no hurricanes form within 5 degrees latitude of the equator. People argue that the Coriolis force is too weak there to get air to rotate around a low pressure rather than flow from high to low pressure, which it does initially. If you can't get the air to rotate you can't get a storm. This is a reason why genesis does not occur at low latitudes but it does not explain why a developed hurricane does not cross the equator.. Could a hurricane cross ? Yes, because a well developed storm has plenty of spin that would dominate the weak Coriolis force near there. If it crossed the Coriolis force would be working against the initial direction of the spin, but it would be dominated by what we call the relative vorticity of the storm. Have we seen this happen ? Hurricanes can move south and get close to the equator but I cannot find an example of one crossing in the Atlantic or eastern Pacific. In the Indian Ocean some come closer to pulling off this trick. Why don't they cross ? The variation in Coriolis with latitude - called the Beta effect - actually will move a hurricane to the NW in the northern hemisphere even if there is no large scale wind pushing the storm along ! So, Coriolis not onlyseems to be a necessary ingredient to make a storm, but it may also pull them away from the equator making the crossing event a tough one to pull off.

Gary Barnes, Professor of Meteorology Department of Meteorology University of Hawaii, Honolulu HI 96822

-- 30 --

Reply to
Pink Freud

Reply to
Coasty

I have no idea what he said.

Basically, hurricanes /can/ indeed cross the equator, but evidently seldom do or at least are not observed doing so.

// Could

// So, Coriolis not only seems to be a necessary

Reply to
Claude Horribly