how to adjust '95 mustang manual trans clutch

What is the proper way to 'adjust' my clutch? Do I lift the clutch pedal with the top of my foot, or do I push the pedal forward (toward the engine) with the front of my toe? I have done both and never heard a 'pop' or 'snap' FORD claims you hear if the clutch gets adjusted.

95 mustang GTS 5.0 T5 transmission
Reply to
darren wilson

It's a self-adjusting clutch. You can get down there with your head near the clutch... there'll be a white "notch" on the clutch quadrant itself... you can put a hammer there (holding the metal end in the palm of your hand) and use your other hand to compress the clutch completely.. then use all the strength in the arm holding the white "notch" to keep that notch in place.. and use the hand that pushed the clutch down to pull the clutch pedal up & you'll hear a series of "clicks"... I used 2 clicks for my car... perfectly adjusted. It takes 2 mins to do for me now... took me a good 15 mins to get right the first time.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

k this sounds interesting .. but I am confused ...

how do I adjust the clutch again .. ? from under the car or inside with my foot ?

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

You get inside the car... and get upside down. Put your head where your feet are when you drive normally... near the pedals.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

oooh wow ... thx !!

btw .. and sometimes the car hisses until i press the clutch about half an inch to an inch ....at all times .... not just at idle .... do I need to replace the clutch ?? how can you tell if you need replacement ?

something i experienced 3 times in 3 weeks is not being able to get out of reverse ....either i had to let the clutch go and the car stop ... or try to back up a little more ... sounds like a bad tranny ?? or clutch ?

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

replacement

Some people have told me it's the throw-out bearing (aka release bearing)... they told me this months ago.. I still hear it... and nothing has broken yet & it hasn't gotten any worse. I don't know what it is, but it isn't affecting my driving at all... so I said screw it.

I have this problem sometimes.. I usually just back up a tiny bit more & rip it outta reverse. I think it's just a characteristic of T-45 transmissions... don't think it can really be fixed. But I could be wrong. Again, I've had the problem for 2 years & it hasn't affected me really...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Interesting ... so I guess my transmission might not really be going bad ... I am just afraid that one fine day the car dies on me ...

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

That has happened to me... but it was the clutch..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

any idea how much that would cost ? installing a new clutch and required parts and labor ?

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

AAMCO here charges $300 to take the tranny down & put it back up.. a bit more money to tear it down (not sure if it's required to tear down a tranny to replace clutch..)... $110~$120 for a cheapo O'Reilly clutch kit (hell I've got one & it works great--but if you've got plans for serious HP, get a better clutch kit).

Now I realize I'll probably get flamed to hell for mentioning AAMCO, but I've had nothing but good work done from them. Albeit, they did take forever to get work DONE... and I probably paid a bit too much.. but the job was done right.. and done right the first time.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset