In Ontario, texting retards are going away

This isn't Germany... we do not have any European attitudes/background/upbringing...

Most of all, automobile ownership per capita is highest in north America.... Here, almost everyone owns a vehicle... often, it is in less than ideal condition....

In Europe, not everyone owns a car... it is much more of a luxury to them than it is to us... additionally, vehicle maintenance is much more of an issue in Europe.

I am honestly trying to rationalize your position... but you haven't offered an alternative... you haven't demonstrated a benefit...

Many years ago, I met an old "finishing" carpenter.... older than dirt, this guy owned no power tools.... everything he did was by hand.... He would tell us that he made his mistakes 'slowly'... that way he could stop them before they happened.... With power tools, his mistakes happened far too fast... by the time he realize the mistake was happening, it was over and done...

You aren't trying to justify safety.. you are trying to justify your desire to go faster than necessary.... his is why God built race tracks.... whoops... what was that about driveshaft loops and safety and all that other useless crap????

I'm not the guy with tetra ethyl lead in my e-mail address....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Us stupid americans can't handle it? Is that what you're trying to say?

And you think that if the speed limit were set properly those people who own those POS cars would start doing 90mph because they are stupid americans? Setting everything to the lowest common demonator as has been done in the USA is clearly a failure. Ever growing disrespect for all rules of the road, crushing congestion, rudeness, frustration, danger, abuses of government power, and so on. For what? A stupid and pointless attempt to make people drive as slow as few think they should. It's failed.

People choose their speed rather well as it turns out and that's why the

85th percentile method of setting a speed limit works over and over and over again for decades.

Dated view.

Heaven forbid people keep their vehicles in decent shape.

I have. I'm the one here who has presented data, references, etc. You choose to ignore it. Again, here's a book to read:

Study after study shows that setting speed limits at the 85th percentile works. Here's a recent one:

That's nice. Maybe we should all go bicycle speeds? BTW, how do you treat bicyclists you catch up to? You change lanes? Wait behind them patiently?

Sigh here you go again. In absence of any argument you decide once again to attack me personally. I'm the slow one on the road. I'm the guy drivers like you end up tailgating because I'm not doing 5-15 over like practically everyone else. I just want to go the speed of traffic legally. I want speed limits set to the engineering proven 85th percentile so that I don't have to choose between safety and legality.

I'm a bit tired of having to try and balance the risk of a ticket vs. the risk of a collision because a bunch of go slow religion types empower the government's desire for revenue.

Something happened to me the other night. Mercedes driver passes me but does so with lots of room. The cop chasing him gets a little close.

Here, you can see the video:

Although the part of the cop getting close is off camera. but you can see me reacting to give him more space. Makes me feel nice and safe that cops put me at risk to fine someone who didn't even bother me.

What's a poisonous fuel additive have to do with speed? You're reaching. It's a bit of a self deprecating humor, but I don't expect you have the intelligence to get the joke. If you have such a bad view of anything remotely connected to an image of speed, maybe you should consider an old pinto instead of a mustang.

Reply to
Brent

So... just what is this "85th percentile"?

is this the magic number for remov>> This isn't Germany... we do not have any European

Jim Warman

I've explained it a few times in this thread alone. Here's a paper on the topic of changing/setting speed limits:

TXDOT seems to have a decent layman's description of the 85th percentile method:

Brent

Not lazy since even a POS like OE will start below the quoted text automatically, it's more "wrong, rude and inconsiderate" than anything else. It's also very inconvenient if you have to follow a long thread.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Nothing wrong with OE for text based newsgroups. That is just MS bashing. I do use Agent for binary groups as OE is crap for that purpose. I would prefer top posting when some ass quotes a 10k line message then says some two word response at the bottom. Snipping is fundamental!

Reply to
RM v2.0

Someone should not be making quotes that big. The server I use will not allow it, and OE is probably the biggest POS I can think of at the moment...

Reply to
WindsorFo

A lot of people cant seem to respond without quoting the entire message. Just for conversation, why do you dislike OE? I have used it on dozens of computers and nary a single issue on text based messages. I read a lot of complaints about OE but never any actual issues, just a lot of "its crap!" posts.

Reply to
RM v2.0