2.8 VR6 is going away...

The rumor has it that VW will soon discontinue 2.8 24V VR6 Jetta GLI in the USA.

It will be replaced by the "new" 1.8T 6 speed GLI which is a lot like

20th anniversary GTI (recaros, bigger breaks, suspension, etc.).

The new VR6 is likely to appear in the MK5 jetta and will probably be the

3.2 VR6.

Who ever wants to own 2.8 24V VR6.... should act soon. It appears that it will be a short lived engine...

Reply to
Alex

The 1.8T would need a bump up to the 210Hp level previously used in the MKV Audi S3 (before it's 225Hp upgrade, and then replacement with the MKV model) to really be on par with the VR6. My 1.8T, 180Hp GTi is faster than the heavier VR6 model from 0-60, but the VR6 has better mid-gear accleration and passing abilities due to stronger mid and upper range power output and no turbo lag.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

If you're counting the 24V version yes, but the 2.8 VR6 has been around for over a decade now.

Reply to
Matt B.

The VR6 Debuted in 1992 in the Corrado...I know...I had one!

It is actually not being dropped, as you stated, but being limited to the GLI and GTI.

It will be joined with a Jetta "Sport" model later this year.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

and I work on a US 1993 Passat with the VR6 engine. later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I've got a '93 Passat with a VR6, which means that it was released at least in '92.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

1992 model year in the Corrado.

memory serves me.

Yes, but for 1992.

carried over into the first of the B5 platform A4s (1997)

Wrong again. The VR6 *never* was in a B5 platform car. The B5s were Audi V6s.

Reply to
Matt B.