Intake Manifold on a 66 Bird with 428

I'm on to the next level of getting my classic 66 Town Landau 428 fixed up. This weekend is replacing the intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Is there anything special I need to know going into this? I do have the original manual and I'm using a mobile mechanic that does side jobs from my local Ford Dealer. I will assist him... Thanks in advance. J.

Reply to
J Thinkpad

Leave him alone?

Reply to
Scott

I like Scotts advice.... none of us likes someone hovering over our shoulders...

If your mechanic is young and has little in the way of FE engine experience... these manifolds are HEAVY and a great deal of care is required when positioning them to avoid damaging or displacing the intake gaskets. Gluing the end seals in with weatherstrip adhesive works well and add a dab of silicon at each corner (where end seal meets side gasket) just before the manifold is set into place.

IIRC, the pushrods are selective length so they should not be mixed up and should be replaced in their original location to avoid any possible problems.

Reply to
Jim Warman

No Sh@#$! First time I encountered that, almost threw a disc! Imagine my surprise, as a 130 pounder who was used to bench-pressing castiron T-

10's.

Come to think of it... did go in for a hernia a year or so later.

I recall that, too. Almost Got in trouble when I saw the two-year old toddling toward the carbord I had them punched into.

Ah, the good old days.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic