Installing a rear bumper cover

I have a stock '01 V6. I found that bumpers.com sells OEM bumper covers that are already painted. How hard or easy would it be to remove the old cover and install the new one? Will I need special tools or someone to help me? Do I have to remove something from the trunk area before I'm able to unscrew the bumper cover?

I need to replace my cover b/c some fine $%#$@ driver hit my rear left quadrant in a parking lot. The damage looks very small, but the metal underneath the bumper cover is pushed in a bit, and I guess I'll need to use a hammer from the inside to push it back.

Thanks.

Reply to
Byler

You shouldn't need any special tools.

-You'll need to take the inner trunk panels out and remove the bumper cover nuts.

-Remove the gas-fill drain hose.

-Take off cover to quarter panel screws...in the wheel arch, 2 per side.

-From underneath, take off the pin-style retainers.

That should do it

Another pair of hands would be good. But if you're going solo and it starts to get unwieldy as your taking the cover off (or putting the new one on) you might use some painters tape to hold it in place as you get each side removed (or installed)

Buena suerte

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Why? Seems easy enough to work around. Other than that, I was going to post the same thing.

Reply to
Brent P

I may be mistaken, but I think the drain hose is connected to the bottom of the cover so it's going to have to come off anyway. I guess I could have been clearer and said 'Remove the gas-fill drain hose from the bumper cover' ....but that's why I'm not a tech writer :)

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale