rear bumper paint on 2004 Outback Wagon

I was rear-ended recently and had to have the rear bumper in my 2004 Outback Wagon (which I love by the way - other car is 1999 Jeep Wrangler, which I also love but I think I love the OB more) replaced.

It is just the basic Outback model, not a sport, LL Bean, or H6 or anything.

I remember that the top part of the rear bumer was unpainted before, it came that way when I bought the car, and it appeared that there was some kind of rubber pad there. However, it did not say "Outback" or anything.

I liked this feature because as I am loading crap in and out of the back the bumper would not get all scratched up.

Anyway, when the car came out of the body shop, that part of the bumper is painted black now. I complained that it wasn't right, because I know it wasn't painted before and I think it looks like crap now, plus I believe it will get all scratched up over time.

Since I thought it was a pad or cover on there, the body shop has attempted to add this part for me, but they can't find it as an accessory, I went to Subaru myself and can't find it either.

So, my questions are

-Does anyone know if the top part of the rear bumper on a 2004 OB comes with a scratch pad or guard as a standard feature?

-If not, and it is normally just unpainted raw bumper there, any opinions as to whether having this surface painted will be a problem or not? I don't really like how it looks now, plus I'm worried that it's going to be easily scratched, but I'm trying not to be a pain in the ass...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
lucygirl1992

My '01 has a semi-gloss black strip that unfortunately dosen't cover the rear edge of the bumper. If the strip went all the way back, it would work better. This strip appears to be part of the bumper cover, not a separate part.

Have you checked your original dealer? Maybe this was a dealer installed aftermarket part, not distributed by Subaru?

Otherwise ask the body shop about protective films. These are clear, self-stick products, similar to heavy tape. It's usually used on nose panels to protect against stone chips. I'm pretty sure both 3M and Dupont offer a version of this, I've sure there are more. If the film gets chewed up, it's simply peeled off and replaced.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

my '03 has a plastic 'flap' there. Hard to believe the Soob guys can't find the part, maybe its a 'trim' item that shows up as an option that just happens to be on almost eevery package?

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Someone's yanking your chain. The black plastic rear bumper cover is an easy to find factory accessory. I did a quick search at

and found one for the 2004 Legacy which will fit your 2004 Outback:
It shouldn't be hard to find the Outback-specific version. If your car had it before the accident repair, it should have it after the accident repair. Don't let your ins. co./repair shop off the hook!

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

For a 2004 Outback wagon without a rear bumper cover or any other attached rear bumper guards on top of the bumper, is the top of the bumper supposed to be painted?

And if not, what are the pros and cons of getting it painted black?

I would push for a new replacement bumper that is properly painted.

Reply to
Jack

The bumper has a black rubber surface on top- as if it were a step ladder.

Reply to
Alan

Is there any paint, clear coat paint, or clear sealer finish on that black rubber surface?

Or, is it just left unfinished rubber?

Reply to
Jack