How to replace the bumper on a 1996 Avalon?

Hi,

I need to replace the back bumper on my 96 Avalon due to a minor accident. No damage was done to any metalwork, but the bumper has a 6" hole in it in the right rear corner.

Is this straightfoward enough for a DIY replacement?

Before I pony up $20 for the book, I thought I'd ask if any of you have done it. If you have, and can give me the difficulty level I'd appreciate it. I'm moderately handy but by no means an auto body expert. The shop is quoting $700 for parts and labor to replace it, including paint.

ed

Reply to
ed_fair

You do not need to invest in a book to replace the bumper cover. If you look underneath, you will see a bunch of bolts holding the cover on, probably 10 mm. Remove the bolts, plus any on top, remove the old cover, replace the new one, and you're good to go. Replacement bumper covers are not painted so it will have to be painted with paint that has had flex additive mixed in.

If you really get stuck, send me an e-mail and I'll take a look at my '97 Avalon factory service manual for more detail.

Reply to
Ray O