Lets talk about radar/laser detectors

I could probably do without one as well, but I like having it in case and besides, I like gadgets.

Reply to
WindsorFox

It's a moot point for me, here in Virginia. Radar detectors are illegal. :(

Reply to
Michael Johnson

And I bet the first time that state law were to be challenged by the Federal law that says states and local municipalities shall not interfere with the right of a lawful citizen to erect antennas to receive the airwaves, the airwaves belong to the people; havoc would be wreaked!

Reply to
WindsorFox

It has been this way for years and years here, as in DC. They recently overturned the gun ban in DC so maybe the detector ban is next. I'm not holding my breath through. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Well there is an federal law that ham operators can use if neighborhood covenants prevent you from putting up an antenna. It also covers TV and satellite antennas as well, it *might* be able to be used on the detector law as well.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I don't want to speed bad enough to spend a small fortune on attorney's fees to bring it to court.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

From what I've read on the subject, if you put up an antenna and your local civic pres tells you to remove it, you give him/the volunteer lawyer a copy of the law and they drop it. LOL

Reply to
WindsorFox

...and if they don't? The tab starts running and you may not be able to stop it. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

It's been challenged in the past.

Essentially it comes down to, yes, it's legal to have antenna to receive the airwaves, but it is not legal to use a device to avoid compliance with the law. Much in the same way there is a difference between avoiding and evading the payment of taxes. Or that it is legal to sell or buy a switchblade (in many jurisdictions) but not legal to carry or use one.... unless you happen to have only one arm, which, in many jurisdictions is an exception to the law.

So, while it may be legal to own a detector, it may not be legal to use one. And simply having one displayed, under the law, shows both the intent and the ability to use one to avoid compliance with the law. Avoidance of compliance IS a crime.

Reply to
Spike

The HAM law is good until, the tower height exceeds local ordinance restrictions, or the signals interfer with the neighbors reception.

Likely, it would not work re detectors. I have seen it work with regard to cable signals. You can't tap into a cable system to steal the programming, however, you can build an antenna out of a coffee can and some Radio Shack parts which will pick up the eminations which pass from the cable to the airwaves.

Reply to
Spike

Yeah I can see that.

Reply to