Major accomplishment (well, for me anyway)

Well, I replaced the points, condenser, plugs, plug wires, and cap. The Haynes manual says to set the dwell to 27 degrees, the best I was able to get it to was 27.5. It took long enough to get that close that I'll live with it.

Unfortunately, the car still runs like crap - when I hit the gas, it tries to stall, then surges hard. Very frustrating, really a pain in the ass at traffic lights.

I think it's just that the old carb is gunked up and needs to be rebuilt. I got a rebuild kit from AutoZone, so that is the next step.

Oh, and I ran out of light before I could check the timing, so I need to do that.

Baby steps, baby steps.

Thanks to all who have offered advice, it has been very helpful.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron