New Disco - well for me anyway

Greetings

I might be finally be commuting in something faster than my current Nissan LD 28 powered SerIII S. Having looked at the finances, I might well be picking up a 96 Disco 300Tdi auto, that has just had the engine rebuilt. I took it for a spin and it was quite amazing travelling at 120km/h!

So it looks like no more freezing my #@#* off driving up to Joburg at 02h00 while great gales pour through the various orrifices on my ser111. I can't wait to get the disco up Sani Pass and see how it handles at 3000m compared to my wheezing wagon.

I can also now keep the serIII for serious bundu bashing if I can convince the wife to let me keep both.

How are the electrics on the Ser1 Discos. The SA spec ones apparently all had leccy windows and quite a few other advanced bits of kit (remember I am coming from a series three) which i would prefer not to have but as long as they don't fail it should be okay.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:25:53 +0200, "fanie" enlightened us thusly:

most of it seems OK - the rear leccy windows can go erratic but there's a fairy easy fix for 'em provided you can do soldering on circuit boards or know someone who can.

all works on our 95 model.

You should find that you have heated door mirrors when you put the heated rear screen on... luxury...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just be careful and easy on the rebuilt engine when you will be travelling at high altitude.

Turbocharged engines without altitude compensation tend to overspin their turbos and increase the exhaust gas temperature leading to higher engine operating temperatures and potential "cooking" of the engine.

Keep your eye on the engine's temperature readings and if it starts coming up ease on your accelerator pedal so that you do not overheat it.

Special care is good to be taken while driving on inclines (up).

This is even easier to happen on autobox equipped vehicles since the torque converter will be stealing some of the engine's power anyway.

Take care and have fun with your new toy. Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi,

This I didn't know. Ours is a '98 Disco I 300 TDi auto. Is there a way of knowing there is altitude compensation? Or was this standard?

And sth. else, but related, when on vacation we tow a fairly hefty caravan (1.600 kg) up the Alps. Is there a way of knowing the converter fluid is overheating (beside the obvious signs when it's too late). There is a warning light for transmission fluid, but - in ours - it doasn't come on when I switch on the ignition, so I guess it's not functional.

Cheers, Richard

Pantelis Giamarellos schreef:

Reply to
Richard Kwakkel

Richard Hi,

turbocharged AUDI cars have altitude compensation but it operates through the ECU of the injection, ignition and wastegate operation system.

Simple mechanical turbocharged engines, such as the 200 and 300 Tdi Land Rover ones do not have altitude compensation, at least as far as I know. Maybe the latest type of the 300Tdi engine with its electronicaly controled and regulated fuel pump does have some sort of altitude compensation for the wastegate's operation but I sincerely doubt it since it must have been written somewhere in this engine's specifications and I have not read anything like that up until now.

As for the autobox's fluid I guess the best way is to fit a temperature gauge in series with the warning light.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

in article snipped-for-privacy@news1.mweb.co.za, fanie at snipped-for-privacy@checkitsystems.com wrote on 30/4/04 6:25 am:

Our electric windows still work on ours. The alarm system and the central locking went though and the remote keyfob fell to bits.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Thanks Pantelis, I'll see if I can fit in a temp. gauge somewhere.

Cheers, Richard

Pantelis Giamarellos schreef:

Reply to
Richard Kwakkel

The mere fact that you have a spring opereted waste gate means it's 'altitude compensated' (ahh, those marketing yobs, they should all be shot). Look at it this way. The spring pulls the waste gate shut. At a set pressure, the gasflow will overcome the force of the spring and bleed. This means you will ALWAYS need that force overcome, or the wastegate will simply stay shut allowing pressure to build up. It's one of the fringe benenfits op using a turbo.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Not really. I agree that the turbo exhaust pressure will be the same. But that isn't the point.

As Pantelis said, the turbo 'overspins' because the pressure differential between atmosphere and wastegate is higher. At 15C (or any other temperature) the turbo exhaust will be hotter at high altitude than at low altitude because of the greater compression.

So, you have a harder working turbo, hotter gases at the inlet manifold, thus hotter exhaust, and therefore a generally hotter turbocharger. Not to mention reduced power.

I don't know, but I imagine an altitude-compensated turbo would have a lower wastegate spring pressure to keep temperatures more reasonable.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Peter Hi,

there is a difference between nominal and absolute operating pressure for the wastegate. The absolute pressure is the total of the atmospheric one (which flactuates depending on weather conditions and altitude) and the one that the wastegate (or turbocharger) operates with. The wastegate (and turbocharger) operate in true life conditions and those change according to weather conditions and altitude.

So when the ambient pressure decreases the turbocharger actually finds itself operating on slightly higher pressure so as to compensate (in absolute pressure terms) for the decrease in the atmospheric pressure and keep the total (where the wastegate's maximum operating pressure is regulated) the same.

In addition to that the diaphragm within the diesel fuel pump (on our Tdi engines) has atmospheric pressure on its lower side and the turbocharger's pressure on the other (upper) side. As the turbocharger's pressure increases on the upper side of the diaphragm, this (the diaphragm) is pushed more inwards if the ambient pressure (at its lower part) decreases when the altitude increases. Thus allowing more fuel to be fed to the injectors compared to sea level. And thus leading to increase exhaust gas temperatures.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos