Mobil 1

I was at Autozone before looking for an IAT sensor (which they DON'T stock--order only... same as O'Reilly but somebody ordered one & didn't pick it up so I bought it)... and I saw Mobil 1 oil filters......... selling for $11.99 a friggin piece!!! What the HELL? Are they THAT good? I didn't see anything about them lasting longer or filtering better... was just a plain 'ol white Mobil 1 box......... anybody have any insight to this? Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I don't think you'll find much better than the FL1A (if that's what your car takes but memory nags me that you need a FL820S - also a very good filter). I have no doubts that the Mobil1 filter ranks amongst the best, but it gets real hard to figure what filters deliver and what filters ride on reputation. Been a while since I checked to see if this site

been updated..... There's some good stuff here and it helps us torealize that all filters (as well as many other things) are not createdequal. Paying a high price is, unfortunately, no guarranty that we will gethigh quality, but we can rest assured that we will never get something wedidn't pay for....

FWIW, Project 'Runner (pics of the roll age construction coming before I die of old age - I hope...... pics of the Edelbrock heads after tossing another G-note at them next week) is getting dual FL1A HPs in parallel.

Jim Warman

If you think its too expensive I have a simple solution.. don't buy it. The Ford Motorcraft filters are excellent and reasonably priced.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

yep, IMO there is no point in buying some fancy third party oil filter for a ford because of motorcraft. The motorcraft filters have always done well in the tests people do, testing near the top. They are cheap, they are what was intended for the engine, and work well. I see no reason to change from them.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
cobra boy

Mobil 1 is excellent oil.

You're kidding me, right? Of course you can - but why?

Reply to
Tungsten

That's what I've been using... FL820S

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I use FL820S for my car.

-Mike

has been updated..... There's some good stuff here and it helps us to> realize that all filters (as well as many other things) are not created> equal. Paying a high price is, unfortunately, no guarranty that we willget

Reply to
<memset

I thought so as well... but I was curious as to why the hell Mobil 1 thinks their oil filters are worth $11.99 each! I'll stick to my $2.xx motorcraft oil filters.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I've been using Mobil 1 for quite a while now... it's *great* stuff.. I've been changing every 3k miles, but I am trying every 5k miles now since it's a synthetic. I probably need to change the oil next week.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at 21 Apr 2004, Tungsten [ snipped-for-privacy@nospamramfm.org] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I second that. It's worth the extra $$$ to me. Especially as I have no intention of getting rid of my Mustang any time soon. Even if I end up with an 06 vert in a few years. :-)

If I switch, it may be to the new Valvoline synthetic High Mileage oil as it's said to have more seal conditioners in it...

Reply to
Paul

at 21 Apr 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:hByhc.344$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

FL400S for my V6. About $2.77 at the local WallyWorld. :-)

Reply to
Paul

I still use an FL-1A with Mobile 1. I dunno. I JUST swiched this last oil change on my camaro to an AC Delco PF-46 (Guy at AZ said it was the replacement for the PF-44...I cound't tell the difference in height holes etc.)

I looked at the mobil 1 for both cars and decided to stick with OEM. HOWEVER....used STP on my Pacifica. I head mopar used Fram and no way I was using Fram....may go with a mobil 1 on next change for that car. So far oil looks as clean as it is on camaro and mustang and it has more miles on the mobile1...with said cheapo stp filter.

I agree though, 12 bux a freakin piece is steep.

Reply to
Jimmy

Because this is the age of DESIGNER LABELS. Anything with a NAME is automatically worth 5 to 10 times as much (even if it doesnt perform any better). As a born and bred American, I thought you knew this! ;-)

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

LOL *hangs head low in shame*...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Rein

Rein opined ....

Yeah...

"Pay me now AND pay me later!"

;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

What you are paying for is the synthetic media rather than wood/polyester based materials. Mobil 1 is all about synthetics.

Is it worth the price? That will depend on how long you keep the car. If you plan on getting rid of it in 5 years then no. If you are keeping it until it dies, then yes. Same with the oil you use.

Would be the same discussion if you were talking about regular or premium gas.

Ray

"Larry Hep>Because this is the age of DESIGNER LABELS. Anything with a NAME is

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Ray

Would you please explain how the use of regular vs premium gasoline will affect engine longevity?

Reply to
Richard

LOL, I would love the hear that explanation also!

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall