Mobil 1

I was at Autozone before looking for an IAT sensor (which they DON'T stock--order only... same as O'Reilly but somebody ordered one & didn't pick
it up so I bought it)... and I saw Mobil 1 oil filters......... selling for $11.99 a friggin piece!!! What the HELL? Are they THAT good? I didn't see anything about them lasting longer or filtering better... was just a plain 'ol white Mobil 1 box......... anybody have any insight to this? Thanks.
-Mike
I don't think you'll find much better than the FL1A (if that's what your car takes but memory nags me that you need a FL820S - also a very good filter). I have no doubts that the Mobil1 filter ranks amongst the best, but it gets real hard to figure what filters deliver and what filters ride on reputation. Been a while since I checked to see if this site http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html has been updated..... There's some good stuff here and it helps us to realize that all filters (as well as many other things) are not created equal. Paying a high price is, unfortunately, no guarranty that we will get high quality, but we can rest assured that we will never get something we didn't pay for....
FWIW, Project 'Runner (pics of the roll age construction coming before I die of old age - I hope...... pics of the Edelbrock heads after tossing another G-note at them next week) is getting dual FL1A HPs in parallel.

pick
for
I use FL820S for my car.
-Mike

see
plain
at 21 Apr 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in

FL400S for my V6. About $2.77 at the local WallyWorld. :-)
--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

pick
for
Hepinstall wrote:

yep, IMO there is no point in buying some fancy third party oil filter for a ford because of motorcraft. The motorcraft filters have always done well in the tests people do, testing near the top. They are cheap, they are what was intended for the engine, and work well. I see no reason to change from them.
I thought so as well... but I was curious as to why the hell Mobil 1 thinks their oil filters are worth $11.99 each! I'll stick to my $2.xx motorcraft oil filters.
-Mike
Larry Hepinstall wrote:

Because this is the age of DESIGNER LABELS. Anything with a NAME is automatically worth 5 to 10 times as much (even if it doesnt perform any better). As a born and bred American, I thought you knew this! ;-)
LJH 95GT

it.
reason
LOL *hangs head low in shame*...
-Mike

cheap,
What you are paying for is the synthetic media rather than wood/polyester based materials. Mobil 1 is all about synthetics.
Is it worth the price? That will depend on how long you keep the car. If you plan on getting rid of it in 5 years then no. If you are keeping it until it dies, then yes. Same with the oil you use.
Would be the same discussion if you were talking about regular or premium gas.
Ray
http://www.mobil1.com/products/images/Mobil1FilterSellSheet.pdf

Would you please explain how the use of regular vs premium gasoline will affect engine longevity?
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
LOL, I would love the hear that explanation also!
LJH 95GT

As would I.
-Mike

at 26 Apr 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in

Actually, isn't using premium gas in an engine designed to run regular going to decrease engine life? As I don't think the 'pinging' caused by doin this will do an engine much good.
--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)
I've never heard of a car running premium gas that was designed to run regular causing a "pinging" problem. My car never has..
-Mike
http://mustang.fdns.net

Exactly. The opposite is when pinging occurs. Too *low* octane in a car needing premium will cause the pinging, as most knowledgeable people know. Use higher octane than necessary, and you're just throwing money away. "A higher-than-necessary octane rating doesn't keep your engine cleaner, make the car go any faster, make your engine last longer or keep your hairline from receding. It just costs more. So use only the octane required by your manufacturer to prevent knock, and no more."- Ray Magliozzi
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

If the engine in question runs fine on 87, then using 93 is a total waste. It won't burn cleaner; it won't even burn completely.

Here's a question, if in a computer controlled vehicle the timing is automatically adjusted to then how would you know if the fuel was right or wrong? Besides like I said the truck I had was designed for the lowest grade possible but had much better mileage with premium over low grade. Same station, same driving, different week.