Mobil 1

As would I.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at 26 Apr 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:NOajc.2152$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

Actually, isn't using premium gas in an engine designed to run regular going to decrease engine life? As I don't think the 'pinging' caused by doin this will do an engine much good.

Reply to
Paul

I've never heard of a car running premium gas that was designed to run regular causing a "pinging" problem. My car never has..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Exactly. The opposite is when pinging occurs. Too *low* octane in a car needing premium will cause the pinging, as most knowledgeable people know. Use higher octane than necessary, and you're just throwing money away. "A higher-than-necessary octane rating doesn't keep your engine cleaner, make the car go any faster, make your engine last longer or keep your hairline from receding. It just costs more. So use only the octane required by your manufacturer to prevent knock, and no more."- Ray Magliozzi

Reply to
Scott Williams

Premium fuel burns cleaner and causes less carbon build up there for allowing for an extension of the engines life. Based on everyone believing that higher octane only reduces ping is not completely correct. Besides, it is all about the additives package at each grade.

How about a truck that I had getting a 20-25% increase in mileage due to premium fuel over regular. Same brand different grades and that was on full tanks.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Ray

If the engine in question runs fine on 87, then using 93 is a total waste. It won't burn cleaner; it won't even burn completely.

Ray wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Joe

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Ray

What Big Oil company do you work for? lol

According to the FTC, there is no increase in fuel economy when using Premium fuel vs Regular. Here is the link. Premium fuel in a car that does just fine with Regular fuel, is a waste of money -

SnThetcOil

Ray wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The computer will only go so far in adjusting timing. The purpose of this is for things like changes in altitude and changes in fuel based on geographic location.

A week isn't nearly enough to tell. Run 87 for a month straight, then run 93 for a month straight. Assuming the same driving patterns over the two-month period, I'll bet the numbers are no better for the 2nd month if the engine was designed to run on 87.

Joe

I knew that! I used to laugh at some friends that would put racing gas in their mostly stock 5.0's at the dragstrip.

Reply to
winze

Obviously, his truck doesn't do "just fine" on regular.

Reply to
Mark Jones

The car is tuned for 87 (a GT is) The cobra uses knock sensors and can sense if you use fuel with not enough octane. It's basically a trial and error process. The GT however does not have knock sensors so you will hear knocking , reducing the life of the engine.

Rein