Mustang's Future

Ahhh, but the hatch... Was that you that claimed to stuff a washer and drier into a Mustang? I'm sure it was in this group LOL

Reply to
WindsorFo

Jesus, you're giving me Escort flashbacks....

Reply to
WindsorFo

You have to know why the car was a failure before redoing it. Many times a car failed because of poor manufacturing quality, low budget development, lack of marketing support, regulations, or other factors that had nothing to do with the concept of the car.

Also, there is market timing. It is not unknown for products, including automobiles to fail because they are ahead of their time.

Reply to
Brent

You beat me to it. That was exactly the response I was going to send.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

On Mar 1, 8:57=A0am, "WindsorFox"

I know I'm God-like, but don't call me Jesus. :-)

As for the "FMX", I don't see the Escort connection. Unless you're recalling the Escort and LN7 days.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

I like wagons, but that one needed more styling work.

I think a more usable fastback or hatch design would work better with the new car.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Frank ess,

For me and you maybe, but for the rest I think the Mustang's nose and name would have to go before a Mustang-based station wagon could get anywhere near production.

Patrick .

Reply to
NoOp

To add more fuel to the discussion, think along the lines of the prototype '94 Mustang showcar.

Now imagine it wearing modern skin (2010 sheet metal) and outfitted with IRS/beefier suspension and a blown [new] 5.0 motor. Then it tipping the scales a few hundred pounds less than the Mustang GT.

Now do we have a winner?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Patrick and Jim:

yup, AMX was a chopped Javelin.......the Gremlin was a chopped Hornet (later Spirit and Concord, later Eagles).

and they were all based on the same cowl, short & long floorpans, etc. And they were all scrap.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Not necessarily the FMX, but what you described and use of the word "experimental." I owned a EXP. Biggest piece of dog shit ever place on four weird sized tires....

Reply to
WindsorFo

So, is that a real 2 seater, or does it have the teeny back seat that all Mustangs have with a tonneau cover like the old Thunderbirds?

Reply to
WindsorFo

A water heater... and a big ol' oak desk (different trips, of course). Basically, as long as the center of gravity was within the vehicle, no problems.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Sure, it would be something like this...

GILL

Not too bad. But that formally-a-bleacher-seat metal rear wing is TERRIBLE. I hate those things.

As for BMW Ms, I always liked the late 90's M coupes.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

I've done (and was able to close the hatch):

1) A sofa table AND hall tree 2) 27-inch (old tube style TV), in the original packaging 3) A picnic table kit

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

I /have/ a bleacher seat (from Turn Six, Riverside Int'l Raceway); looks as if you could get three, maybe four of those wings out of it. Wouldn't /that/ be a collector item!

Reply to
Frank ess

We once moved a full sized refrigerator in a Chevy Vega hatchback. had to leave the hatch open with half the fridge sticking out. It was so rear end heavy it almost lifted the front wheels off the ground.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

AMX was a hot car. Low 13's on street tires. Would beat up stangs, roadrunners and big block Novas back in the day. My buddy had one, a '69, I drove it often, and that Rambler would haul ass.

Reply to
Repairman

I wonder if that's mounted to the trunk lid with 4 or 6 screws??

Reply to
WindsorFo

Years ago a buddy of mine put a warmed-over AMX motor (not sure if it was the 390 or 401) into his CJ5 Jeep. Even with just 2WD it was a beast, and it got crazy any time he shifted it under full throttle above 5,000 -- in fact when he sold it he warned the new owner but he didn't heed the advice and ended up rolling it.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp