Mustang's Future

My experience in the Turn Six bleachers leads me to conject that it's secured with multiple nuts of various sizes and shapes.

Grade 8 at the beginning, Grade 4 after a few beers.

Reply to
Frank ess

So, what ever happened to that Vega???

Reply to
WindsorFo

I don't really know but I'm pretty sure it's no longer running.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'd like to see an alternative model to the Mustang with the following features:

Cheap Simple retro-boxy styling (think 80s LX) Stripped-down Light weight Notchback with fold-down rear seats I4, I6, and V8 engine availability Marketed as a cheap do-anything car Manual steering standard Manual windows, door locks standard AC delete optional Radio optional Manual transmission standard, automatic optional Stable platform slowly improving over time (like the Fox Mustangs) Rear-wheeled drive Incorporates parts from the high-production F150 line Maker cooperation with aftermarket manufacturers

Ford would name the car the "Fox". Gaudy trim packages would be available to give the car an early-eighties look and to raise public awareness of the new model, but by default --with a four banger and skinnies-- it would look like something grandma would drive to pick up groceries.

The key to success for this model would be cheapness driving high sales, high sales driving down the cost of parts, part interchangeability allowing "lesser" models to be hopped up easily, and a stable platform encouraging after market support thereby generating enthusiasm for the make.

A muscle car should be cheap and something you don't mind tearing into. The V8 Fox should sell for at most $14000, the I6 for $11000, and the four for $8000. Maybe the prices could even be cheaper, provided Detroit distances itself from the "oceans of molded plastic and mountains of electronics" school of design. Think exposed bolts and fasteners, visible heater core and blower ducting under the dash, minimalist gauges and idiot lights, a simple bare-minimum wiring harness, "un-integrated" components (i.e. you can see the fasteners holding the airbag to the dash and it is apparent that it is a separate object and not molded-in), and sturdy manual accessories. Hell, throw a bench seat in there.

Keep it cheap, simple, and easy to work on and I may buy a car again. Until then, its cheaper to stick with my 20 year old car fixing any minor problems that surface.

Frank ess wrote:

Reply to
Gary