Mustangs and babies

I have a baby due in November and my 99 GT vert is on the bubble cuz it doesn't seem very baby-friendly. Someone told me they were able to transport their baby w/o too much trouble in their mustang convertible but I'm skeptical (though I guess one could lower the top every time they took out the kid but that's pretty impractical). Anybody here use a mustang for transporting babies? If so, how was it? Thanks.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

I don't know about the 'vert you have, it is inconvenient though for any

2-door vehicle getting kids in & out... especially with car seats(maybe a vert would be easier w/ the top down!). For the older cars, it's even worse, though, if you don't have shoulder harnesses!

We had to buy these special Britax "Laptop" restraints when our kids got too big for the seats we had. The problem now is that Britax has discontinued these seats and they are in very high demand, and you gotta get'm on eBay. They are going for 60-100 dollars & up, but it sure beats having to go for the $300.00 Britax unit(we were looking at $600.00 + tax for two kids!) you are stuck with otherwise w/o shoulder harnesses... a lot easier to get in/out of than the $300.00 seat too.

Fortunately, Britax is the top rated brand, and you can usually sell their stuff for almost as much as you buy them for, they hold up well and clean easily.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I have a youngster... Shes 3 now but ive been taking her in and out of my 97 GT since her first day. Not too bad.. Just flip the seat forward. Eventually bending over and getting her in and out got tough but now I put one foot on the runner and use my knee to balance some of the wieght.. You will figure it out... BTW mine is a coupe. Its worse than having a 4 door but not enough to ditch the stang....

Robert L

Reply to
Robert L

Back when I had a 84' GT, and with my first child, I would simply flip-forward the passenger seat, stick one leg in, sit on the back of the passenger seat and use that as a support and pivot when getting the baby in and out of his car seat. Placing the car seat in the rear-passenger side made it really easy to tend to the baby while driving.

I also had a '87 convertible GT, and I'll have to agree it was much easier to get the child in and out. It might have been due to him being older (~2yrs), but I think it also had to due with the fact I could roll down the small side windows for more clear width opening to the rear. You just can't do that in a coup.

Reply to
Ray Reynolds

I did it with both a 87 GT and 96 Cobra coupe. Two car seats in back, the rest of their gear where ever I could put it, and the wife in front. I never had any trouble getting the seats or kids into the back. I do recall that the infant carrier may be a little different cause its longer from front to rear, especially if there is a handle that folds down. So put it in the passenger side and move the front seat forward a little. That where you want it anyway.

Reply to
DriveSpy

Zen,

My wife and I bought an 5-liter LX hatchback in 1987 when our two kids were 1 and 3 years old. That LX was our _only_ vehicle until 1995. It made a great family car!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Hi Zen,

I say "GO FOR IT!"

When my wife was due with our first child in 1996 I went through a bit of a mid-life crisis and bought my first brand new off-the-lot Mustang

- a 1996 Forest Green GT.

The question of getting in and out of the back with our child did come up every once in a while, but the pride of owning such a beast of a car, regardless of child on board, overshadowed any quabbles about it.

So, comes the time the GT lease is up and we downsize, to a four-door Contour. If you thought four doors were better - fageddaboutit.

The two large doors of a Mustang make it far easier to get things in and out, including a child in a car seat, than trying to squeeze in through narrowerback doors.

Of course, now we have our second Escape and it is a breeze to get things in and out, including a second youngster, because everything is at standing level height.

Hold on to the stang as long as you can - I can assure you it's not a problem with small kids in the back. And they'll look so much cooler with the breeze blowin' through their hair!

Andrew Croft

'65 Caspian blue 6 cylinder coupe, blue interior [07.85 to present]

'96 Forest green GT coupe, grey interior [04.96 to 04.00]'88 medium blue 5.0LX hatchback, grey interior [93-04.96]'80 white hatchback, red interior [91-93]My other car is a Ford - '04 Escape, 6 cylinder, silver, grey cloth -LOVE IT - it's my second Escape.

Reply to
Andrew Croft

Oh damn dude... An 83 LTD... that has the variable venturi carb.... you must not live in cali. tee hee . I made one of those work a few months ago. cool though.

Reply to
Robert L

Same here. The Mustang was perfect for small children, and wasn't a problem until they hit their early teens.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I brought my Son home in a Vortech supercharged 92 Hatch with Weld Draglites :-) hee hee! I recently took him with me to test drive a new Cobra. Now he asks me if every car he sees is as fast as a Mustang Cobra. Snif snif...I live that kid!!

//Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m28.aol.com:

I think I remember you posting that in here, Mike. My son keeps hounding me to buy not only one, but a pair of blowers. One for the LX and one for the R/T.

Joe

"Zen Cohen" wrote in news:ICRmc.71567$Dn1.65243 @fe2.texas.rr.com:

Maverick Fenstermacher had his ride home from the hospital in my 2000 'vert GT, and has ridden in it ever since, no problems.

Honestly I don't know what people are concerned about. I heard the same things, "You'll never get a car seat in that 'vert!" but I had no problems with the infant seat or the toddler seat he has now.

Now...don't get me wrong, the passenger side front seat has to be ALL the way forward so nobody but an Oompa-Loompa could possibly ride in the front while he's in the back, but otherwise it's perfectly workable.

JD

Reply to
JD Fensty

Reply to
Howard Mora

Reply to
Ryan West

I just bought a 1988 Mustang convertible and I have a 3 year old son. To say that the kid loves it would be an understatement. All day he keeps telling me he wants to go in his car seat and as soon as he gets in the car he points to the top and says "down". I think the poor kid will be very confused the next time we try to put him in our other car, a Subaru station wagon. Since he is very fair skinned and we are in Florida, I make him wear a hat and sunglasses and I carry a bottle of SPF 45 in the car, but other than that I think he loves the convertible as much as I do. The infant seats might be a little harder to fit, but I am pretty sure you can make it work. Liz the winch wench

Reply to
Liz

I just had another idea on this subject. If you haven't all ready purchased an infant car seat, why not measure the space you have in the back seat of the convertible and then keep that in mind when you are shopping for the car seat? There are lots of different styles of infant seats out there and some might fit better than others. Another idea might be if you have any friends or family with babies, ask if you can borrow their infant seat to try it out in your car. That way you can see if there is enough space, if the seat belts are long enough to fit through the car seat, and just get an idea of how an infant seat would fit in the car. Hope that helps.

Liz the winch wench

Reply to
Liz