my 85 mustang "gremlin"

I have a 1985 mustang gt H.O. 4bbl and every time it starts getting warm it starts to cut out really bad and wants to die especially when I press on the gas. I've replaced the fuel pump, plugs and wires, fuel filter, and cleaned the carb but nothing works. A mechanic at my work said it might be the ignition module so i replaced that and it got better for about a week and then started again. It seems to get worse each time I drive it. Do you think the problem is in the wiring to my ignition or is it something else. PLEASE HELP!!

Reply to
stang85_5

scott and barb

You've mentioned several carb issues - but not once addressed enrichment. How is the accel. pump & power valve?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

If the car starts and run fine when cool (had to tell from post) but starts to perform poorly when warm to hot, there are several things to check:

1)thermal breakdown of original ford coil 2)excessive heat from from of motor boiling fuel in metal line at front of motor. 3)thermostat not opening properly 4) EGR malfunction (bad gaskets or erosion of plate on back of motor)

the 85 4 bbl cars no the early CFI cars have no computer or brain box. just simple duraspark coil and ignition module. Some of these vehicles have a hot idle compensator ( small module on a vacuum line going to carb) that will stick and make and engine run rich (black or gray smoke that makes eyes water)

power valve and accelerator pump (small rubber diaphragm in front of carb) will cause a stumble when accelerating, but car will run smooth at idle.

one last thing to check as some states/regions change fuel mixtures as cool/cold weather approaches the small viton seal on the float bowl needle and seat have been known to break down and either stick and starve the engine or disappear and not seal thereby causing a rich condition.

Reply to
walt peifer

Replace the coil... they fail sooner or later, anyway; and it just MIGHT be the problem.

But the pointers to the carb should not be ignored, either.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Maybe...

Probably not...

Doubt it...

Doubt it...

No, they are EEC IV, Duraspark II on the CFI, MCU (EEC II) & Duraspark II on the carbed.

Some of these vehicles have a hot

Most likely. When the choke comes off during warm up, the problem appears. Power valve / accelerator pump.

Maybe, probably overlooked the float when he "cleaned" the carb. Certainly sounds like a starvation issue though.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Please, do not even consider thinking about spending this money until you actually figure out what the problem really is....

Reply to
WindsorFox

enrichment.

Reply to