Need a pump

I need a pump for replacing fluids such as rear differential fluid... does anybody know of a cheaply priced one that isn't anything fancy, but will do this specific job? I need to suction the fluid OUT really... I'd rather not take off the cover if I can avoid it. Anyway.. anybody know where I can get one? Thanks. For 98 Mustang GT.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

One of the upsides of pulling the cover off is having the ability to visually insect the gearset and such as well as lookig for foriegn matter, large bits of metal, integrity of the spider pin lock bolt and such.

However, most auto parts stores can supply you with either a suction gun or an electric drill powered pump that would help with your task. I have yet to find either of these in a model or brand that has worked to my expectations.

Jim Warman

Most auto supply stores or Wal Mart for that matter sell an inexpensive hand pump. Its just a siphon type pump with plastic hose on both ends.

Reply to
Dennis

Jim,

Yeah I know the upside... I did it last time.. only I could not find a new damn gasket anywhere (NO O'Reilly had one in stock, NOR autozone) ...which is the main reason I took it to Precision Tune to let them re-do the job.. they put a new gasket on. When I looked at the gears, they looked real good... and I didn't see much metal at all really. I didn't really know what to look for at the time, but it looked "good"... like nothing was damaged or anything.

And yes... I have yet to find a damn decent pump too.... all I've seen are stupid hand pumps that aren't capable of pumping fluid this heavy/thick for crap. Thanks though ;D

-Mike

expectations.

Reply to
<memset

Yeah I've tried the hand pumps & haven't found a good one yet. Have you had particularly good luck with a specific one for this kind of application? Thx.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Instead of a gasket, just clean the cover and housing well..... about a

1/8th inch bead of RTV (go inside the bolt holes) and let it skin over... doesn't take long to get dry to the touch.... let it get too dry and you start again.

While it's flashing off, take a seal pick or something similar and clean out the bolt holes. Old silicon can pack in the bottom and wreak all sorts of havoc.

Jim Warman

Ah ok... I'll do that then. I appreciate your help a LOT, Jim. Thanks man =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Stop by you're local ER and ask them for a 60cc irrigation syringe. It has to be an irrigation syringe, not a luer lock. I hand them out to fellow shade-tree mechanics every now and then.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
<memset