New Tires for 1998 V6 Mustang

Hello,

I need to purchase new tires for my Mustang. I am currently using P225/55ZR16 tires. (The first number refers to the width of the tire.) I'm planning on purchasing wider tires to improve handling.

What's the maximum width I can go for? I have a '98 V6 Mustang.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Lab PC

You probably wouldn't want to go any wider than a 245. With that you'd need to go with a P245/50x16, in order to keep the rolling diameter within the acceptable limits, otherwise it messes up your speedometer. As far as speed ratings, you don't have to have a 'Z' tire; you could probably go with an 'H' and suit your needs quite well. You should check out

for a lot of good information on tires in general, excellent prices and good selections. I've used them, and haven't been disappointed.

Have fun!

Reply to
RayS
** I'm planning on purchasing wider tires to improve handling.

Have you considered improving the suspension instead?

This reminds me of a dufus buddy of mine back in the late 70's. He put a huge, wide set of wheels/tires on his Dodge, expecting major improvement in handling. BZZZZTTTT! What he ended up with was a lot of noise and extra drag; it handled even worse than it did with the OEM's, steered like a Mack Truck, and it was nearly uncontrollable on grooved pavement.

But it looked cool, which was probably the real reason he did it anyway.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Also remember that wider tires will not necessarily improve handling, suspension and weight (sprung & unsprung) changes have more affect than the tires. Wider tires (on the proper with rim) help with grip and might add a tenth of a G in a corner, but the transition of the weight through the suspension will not be affected and this is more important. Wider tires also have a higher rolling resistance which could lower milage and performance, they also hydroplane easier. A shorter sidewall will also help a little, but the ride will be rougher. Your best bet would be to keep the tires you have and save for subframes and other suspension pieces that will actually improve the handling. If you really want wider tires, move up to a 17" wheel (factory or aftermarket) and use the stock size 245/45-17 that's on the current Mustangs.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thanks for everybody's input.

After reading your feedback, I decided to purchase 4 Kumho Ecsta HP4

716 tires from tirerack.com. The size is the same: 225/55HR16. For $67 per tire, I think I got a pretty good deal. The tire ratings are pretty impressive too for this price. Here's the link for anybody else who might be interested:

Anyway, thanks again for your help, Antonio

Reply to
Lab PC
7 inch wide rims?

Reply to