No Diagnostic Connector

OK..I have a CIL on my 89 GT. I comes on when I'm cruising, after its warmed up. If I accelerate, the light goes off. Otherwise it goes off and on randomly while I'm cruising on the highway.

I've only owned this mustang for about a year. It had several modifications when I bought it (ie Cobra intake, JBA headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Jacobs Ignition, etc.)

I was planning to hook up to my diagnostic connector to pull trouble codes. But, it appears I don't have one. I'm guessing it was removed when the Jacobs Ignition module was installed. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? How do I get the trouble codes with no diagnostic connector?

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

see if CIL is actually flashing a code out. It may look random, but it may be a sequential code. My 93 does that, says airbag is not kosher, but it is the sliding rings that connect it in stearing colume are loose or broke It flashes out a 3 digit code, forgot what it was. 331 or something like that.

The connector should be in far right engine bay corner near top as you face the engine, I cant think of any reason to remove it at all, unless someone dumped fuel injection and carbed the engine, and put in some other engine cable.

let us know what you find

Reply to
frogma

I have a Jacobs ignition on my 89 and I didn't remove anything.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Could the OP be looking for OBD2 connector ('96 up) instead of the previous ford-only connector that should be present on an '89???

Reply to
Brent

That thought crossed my mind as well, I oculdn't remember exactly what (is any) connector the 89 has. If I remember correctly there is no connector under the dash.

Reply to
WindsorFo

every make and model had the connector in a different spot. Some cars had it under the hood somewhere, others had it in various places under the dash, could be anywhere the mfg decided to put it. I don't know where it is on an 80s mustang.

Googlefinger turned up:

"EEC IV vehicles have two connectors for self testing the system. Theyare located on the firewall or the left or right front fender. The largeconnector contains the self test output (STO) and ground (SIG RTN). Thesmall pigtail is the self test input (STI)"

Reply to
Brent

On an 89 Mustang the connector is on the left spring tower.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Woo hoo! Found it! It is on the driver side near the firewall. Not on the passenger side (where my manual says it is). Looks like I got a Continuous Memory code 31. And, an Engine Running code 94, 44. Anyone have any experience with these codes? I kinda have a clue regarding the

  1. But, the 94,44 I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

jonezzzman wrote in news:rVhxl.16430$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

Here's what my EEC-IV book says for those codes:

31 - EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor or Presure Feedback EGR (PPE) sensor - signal voltage is below minimum specification, or EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid circuit problems, or EGR valve is not in normal closed position

44 - Problem in Thermactor Air Control System

94 - Thermactor Air System - problem on the right bank (passenger side)
Reply to
akheel

For 31. Remove the EGR valve and clean the carbon out of it. You can manually open the valve by pushing on the diaphragm. Get the carbon out so the valve will close all the way. Brake cleaner or ERG cleaner will help. Or just "pick" it out with a large sweing needle.

Al

Reply to
Big Al