O2 sensor problem

Hey guys, I took off the cats in my 00 GT, and for sure the check engine light came off. There's this mechanic says that he can fix the problem, without using the eliminators, by using some program that delete the O2 programming (codes) from the car computer for good, so the computer doesn't count O2 sensors anymore. Does any one of you guys tried it? Any results! does it damage the car computer or other sensors. Any comments will be appreciated.

Reply to
mustangGT_00

Only thing to make sure of is it DOESNT defeat the primary O2 sensors.

So... the cats were plugged, huh? Or the blower or nitrous were too much for them?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"mustangGT_00" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Why in hell would you take the cats off? This ranks up there with stupidity like "I took off my PCV valve."

Reply to
elaich

Thanks Backyard Mechanic for your reply. elaich, thanks for reply, but next time keep your stupidity ranking thing for yourself if you don't have any helpful answer.

Reply to
mustangGT_00

Well, I sorta said the same thing he did.... the only real effect of taking off the cats is to increase the sound level some.

These ARENT the same power robbers that GM slapped on back in the early eighties... and Ford's never were that bad, certainly arent now.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns978A5346A76A3pettyfogery@207.115.17.102:

Also, it's illegal. The cats on a modern car are a vital part of the emissions equipment. They are tied into the computer and are basically harmless.

Reply to
elaich

"illegality" is a poor argument. As far as that goes, some use it as their little way to 'defy the system'.. and I cant argue with that, no one can.

The BEST reason is that you gain nothing and risk SELF annoyance or aggravation by removing them. But that's great if you want to annoy others; example being a nineties F-150 I parked next to at the convenience store the other day....was idling and obviously had some exhaust mods, loud mufflers and no cats. I couldnt believe the stink bothered me so much.

It all depends on the mind-set.. Personally if I were retro-modding any fifties or sixties car (the only way I'd own one), I would put a full emmisions system on it. But that's just me.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well, I kinda agree with you. Actually, I did some mods to the car, and i thought taking off the cats would be easier than using off-road pipes. Not to mention that adding some noise to underneath the stang is kool, but not to bother others like the F-150 did to you. lol. By the way, does the off-road pipe give you more power, if so how much!!

Reply to
mustangGT_00