'96 Maxima, O2 sensor

My wife took the car to the dealer today and came back with them telling her that the Knock sensor and the front o2 sensor code stored in the ecm. they want to replace all three t the tune of $1100. parts and labor. does any one know how har it is to replace the o2 sensors? please help. Thanks

Reply to
Skierick

Replace all three O2 sensors? I'd just replace the front ones. They can be difficult to get out, but usually it's not a big deal. You need a special socket and they usually come out easier if they are hot. The knock sensor is a common failure on those. It's won't turn on the check engine light by itself, but will cause you to lose mileage and power. It's not bad to change if you have small hands. Visit

Lots of tips and help on keeping your Max happy.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

Buy the bosch OEM o2 sensors for about $110 each. The front two are more important than the rear (which just monitors cat sufficiency). Buy a crows foot O2 sensor socket attachment for $10 at autozone. Jack up the front and place on jackstands. remove the O2 sensors and disconnect the harness which is fastened at several point along the way to the harness connector. Replace and you are done. Do not replace the Knock sensor unless it appears as a code on it's own (without any other codes). $1100 is highway robbery. Get a $15 Haynes manual if you need guidance.

CW

Reply to
CW

Hey thanks sooo much for the great info on yhe o2 sensors, I have the cofidience to do the job my self. if you have any tips or tricks to make it easier please post. The dealer also recommends replacing the egi sub harness, what is that and where is it? Once the sensors are replaced will the codes clear or must I clear them some how? Thanks Again!

Reply to
Skierick

Reply to
Jon Smith

The only one you can really see with the car on the ground is the rear one. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting the others out either. Nothing wrong with paying to get it done, but we don't like to pay too much.

It's easiest if you use an O2 sensor socket (with a slot for the wires).

Reply to
David

Ok, Thanks for all the good info, I'm going to takle the job myself. Will let you know how it goes. I still don't know what the egi sub harness is. thank you all.

Reply to
Skierick

You really should get a Haynes manual. It should tell you the general location of all of the sensors, and also has a section on how to read off the computer codes and clear them. It's easy, but hard to explain without pictures.

Reply to
Joe

Alright, the job is done and all is working normally. I got the parts online for half the of what the dealer wanted, the o2 sensors from bosch are great they have the connecters and the ties on them so you just screw em in and plug em in. The knock sensor is easy to see but hard to get to. Chiltons manual says to remove the cross over manifold to replace it, (no way) once I got it out with a long ext and a swivel socket, I'm wondering how to get it back in (hands are too big). Lucky me my wife is wonderfully petite and she was able to get the bolt started and then I just tighten it up. I gave her a big kiss and thank her for saving me about 4 hrs of work. She returned the kiss and thank me for saving us $800. it's all goood thank for all the help.

Reply to
Skierick