ok round 2 on the 99 Cobra

well I've got a second chance on the 99 Cobra. went and drove it this morning and I must say I'm impressed with the car, it was tight, reasonably fast and rattle and squeak free. here are the mods done to it, true duals, flowmasters, K&N, nothing else that I could find. pulled hard all the way to 6000 rpm with no problems here's the specs, 99 black mustang cobra, leather, all options, cass,cd, 62,468k on the clock. price on the lot is 13,999 and they aren't willing to haggle very much, like maybe 200 or 300 hundred dollars is about it. I'm seriously thinking about buying it, couldn't find too many faults with the old car. Insurance was steeper than I had hoped for 674.00 every six months. opinions, suggestions ? Defiant

Defiant Till the end

Reply to
Defiant

Defiant opined in news:4223489a snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

Note i scraped off all the freakin HTML crap!!! I dunno WHAT "true duals' means... does that mean no h pipe? Or maybe that's put there for the ignorant car buyer.

ALL the prices seem reasonble to me IF you REALLY like the car! That means you sit'n'fit. Value is in the mind of the buyer.

But if I were in the market for a car in that neighborhood of price/performance, I'd pass that one... unless, as i say, I drove and fell in love with it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Seems a little on the high side. But if that is the one you want and the only one like it you can find it might be worth the price. I personally would rather find one with fewer miles. Claud

Reply to
Claud Spinks

Mine is a 98 with 68k on the clock It's been a great car. Nothing out of the ordinary to speak of. Like BM said, take it to a reputale mechanic and have it looked over.

Run a carfax on it.

Write down the VIN and take it to a Ford dealership and see if he can pull up the service records on it for you. Have them check for any recalls or TSBs.

Check the vin numbers all around, on the panels and body to see if they match, that will tell you if it's had any major repairs. Those numbers are on every body panel on the car. Hood, bumper covers, fenders, doors, body deck lid and so on.

At 68k, my car is a stron running reliable little beast. She has had her issues. I STILL have a CEL when I stomp on it. It's my fault I have not persued it further than a coule of little things. Someday I will get to it. Have a good look at it, you cna see if it has been cared for or abused, no matter how good the detailer is.

One other piece of advice. If you love it, but it. if you have a funny feeling about it, walk away.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

| > Defiant Till the end | Seems a little on the high side. But if that is the one you want and the | only one like it you can find it might be worth the price. I personally | would rather find one with fewer miles. | Claud |

Reply to
SVTKate

I said take it to a reputable mechanic ;P

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I think it sounds reasonable. How many Cobras do you see on the road? Not too many around here. I know they made roughly 10000 of them in 99 but you don't see very many anymore. And you can't go to the dealer and buy one.

I have a nice 98 coupe with 67K. I am planning on selling it sooner or later. Probably early next year. If I was selling it today I would be looking for about $12K and I think I would get it.

mort

was tight, reasonably fast and rattle and squeak free. here are the mods done to it, true duals, flowmasters, K&N, nothing else that I could find. pulled hard all the way to 6000 rpm with no problems

62,468k on the clock.

maybe 200 or 300 hundred dollars is about it.

Reply to
Mort Guffman

IF you decide you want this car and price is close to fair, I'd test their "won't haggle much" attitude by showing up with $13,000 and sticking to your guns but that means being ready to walk away if they won't budge. And if that happens you can feel secure in knowing you didn't let them ream you :)

Reply to
Scotter

was tight, reasonably fast and rattle and squeak free. here are the mods done to it, true duals, flowmasters, K&N, nothing else that I could find. pulled hard all the way to 6000 rpm with no problems

62,468k on the clock.

maybe 200 or 300 hundred dollars is about it.

bargain hard. I would expect at least 1000 off. Offer them 12K, if they say no, walk out. (make sure they have your nr). Give it a day or two. They'll call.

Rein

Oh... whoops... Backyard Mecahnic or Bad Boy Mike... either way it goes, I misspelled reputable LOL!

sorry kid

Kate

| > Run a carfax on it. | >

| > Write down the VIN and take it to a Ford dealership and see if he can pull | > up the service records on it for you. | > Have them check for any recalls or TSBs. | >

| > Check the vin numbers all around, on the panels and body to see if they | > match, that will tell you if it's had any major repairs. | > Those numbers are on every body panel on the car. Hood, bumper covers, | > fenders, doors, body deck lid and so on. | >

| > At 68k, my car is a stron running reliable little beast. She has had her | > issues. | > I STILL have a CEL when I stomp on it. It's my fault I have not persued it | > further than a coule of little things. Someday I will get to it. | > Have a good look at it, you cna see if it has been cared for or abused, no | > matter how good the detailer is. | >

| > One other piece of advice. | > If you love it, but it. if you have a funny feeling about it, walk away. | >

| > Kate | > 98 Cobra Drop Top | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I disagree. Sorry, but I think it will sell.

Cobras aren't that easy to find, not like they are so vey scarce, they just arent all that common. You want one and you find what you want, you buy it. Haggling is good, but not to the point that you lose the car and then cannot find another one and end up kicking yourself in the butt.

Kate

62,468k on the clock. | >price on the lot is 13,999 and they aren't willing to haggle very much, like maybe 200 or 300 hundred dollars is about it. | >I'm seriously thinking about buying it, couldn't find too many faults with the old car. | >Insurance was steeper than I had hoped for 674.00 every six months. | >opinions, suggestions ? | >Defiant | >

| >Defiant Till the end | | bargain hard. I would expect at least 1000 off. Offer them 12K, if | they say no, walk out. (make sure they have your nr). Give it a day or | two. They'll call. | | | Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
SVTKate

No, they're not that common, BUT, there aren't THAT many people out there either who want one or even know what it is. I'd risk it. Can always check out autotrader. There's more out there.

Rein