Cobra vs M5

Ok guys, I don't want to get into an arguement about BMW vs the Cobra but I have a few opinions. It's no secret that I'm in the market for a niced used

5-series. BUT, I also have owned a lot of Mustangs and have even drove 2 new Cobras (an '03 and an '04) so I understand the arguement.

It's really an apples vs oranges arguement. As it stands right now, dollar for dollar, you won't find a better American performance car for the money than the new Cobras. Sure the ZO6 is hot, but look at the price tag. The Cadi CRS-V is hot but once again, expensive. The new GTO is a cool car but it looks like a Grand AM and is, IMHO, overpriced. The Cobra goes like stink, handles great, brakes well (for a Mustang) and just LOOKS cooler than hell. The look of that car is what SN-95 owners have been shooting for for years - hunkered down stance, fat-ass wheel/tire combo, mean sounding exhaust, great seats. etc. All from Ford. Now that they have beefed up the motor to handle boost, it's a no-brainer. It's a bad-boy, speed racer, American Muscle car. It's not meant to compete witht an M5. They are totally differnet cars, appealing to a totally different demographic. The basic Cobra buyer is not driving through the BMW lots comparing it to the M5. Or vice-versa.

The BMW is appealing for an entire different set of reasons that one would look for in a Cobra. I agree that one would have to have money to burn to buy a can like the M5 or one of the 55 series AMG's but the brute power would be fun. You8 and I probably cana't justify it but some dude with a 1/2 million dollar salary probably can. I mean, aside from the huge, unusable power, there are other reasons to buy a BMW. I have driven useed 5-Series that had over 200K and have never been apart and still performed like a new car. Car was tight, rattle free, leather still looked new, it's just an issue of better built quality. I haven't seen a Cobra yet that didn't have cracked worn out leather seats at 50,000 miles. I drove a 95 540i with 220,000 miles that still looked new inside. Ran like it too.

The original post was a troll. Look at it like that. They are both awesome cars, but appeal to a differernt type of buyer with different needs and expectation.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

IMO of course...

I don't care for rich boy snob appeal cars. Gimmie American muscle anyday. According to Consumer reports, European automobiles have fallen behind the American cars in reliability. Many get the below average or the solid black dot treatment. As everyone has pushed the quality bar forward, the European makes got let behind.

I found that the average reliability rating of the Mustang pretty refreshing considering the history of muscle cars being in the reliability dumper. John

Reply to
jriegle

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com:

They're both awesome cars in their own right. People who can't appreciate each of them for what they are need to get in touch with the clue bat. IMNSHO, of course.

Joe

I agree with your post with one exception - the new cobras do NOT have a mean sounding exhaust. in stock trim my gt sounded way meaner

slap a catback on it and you got it man - one badass machine

Reply to
Christopher Shea